180 Quad erratic flipping - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 02:39 PM
Discussion

180 Quad erratic flipping

My trusty QAV 180 clone has flown beautifully for 10 months using Cleanflight stock settings, 2300kv motors 4x4x4 props, 20A ESC running Multishot and a SRPracing F3 board, 4S 1300mAh lipo. Very durable frame - fantastic flying machine.

However, I noticed recently that with aggressive front flips / back flips the quad spins/flips uncontrollably to the ground. I've repeated this several times. It is able to do gentle flips/rolls, but aggressive ones initiate a snap-roll.

I wondered if the beaten up front right motor was too weak to recover and replaced all four with new Racerstar 2205 / 2600kv motors. Same thing happens.

This didn't used to happen. Quad still flies smooth and fast in every other way.

Please advise.

PD
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 03:35 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
All the usaul suspects:
Bad wire/soldering/connection
ESC going bad
motor going bad.

A BB log is handy to find which arm this is happening on.
Nov 07, 2017, 05:33 PM
Regurgitation Utensil.
a slightly bent shaft was my culprit. it offset the magnets at a slight angle, so braking wasn't working right on it. and the one prop would free spin during a flip and not slow down enough for it to keep control.
Nov 07, 2017, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
All the usaul suspects:
Bad wire/soldering/connection
ESC going bad
motor going bad.

A BB log is handy to find which arm this is happening on.
It still flies well at all other times. Even a full throttle blast vertically demonstrates no fault as I might expect if an ESC were deficient. Motors were a year (beginners year at that) old and were fine except for a wobble on front left. Replacing the set was on my agenda for more power.

Doesn't drop from the sky as I'd expect from poor wiring... but I'll check after 10 months of flying and crashing maybe something is loose.

I recently switched from One Shot to Multishot just to try it....

Otherwise it's been superb.

Ill take a look tonight.
Nov 07, 2017, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
a slightly bent shaft was my culprit. it offset the magnets at a slight angle, so braking wasn't working right on it. and the one prop would free spin during a flip and not slow down enough for it to keep control.
interesting fault, well spotted.

My problem has followed me from the old original motors to the new set. Same issue.

I was shocked it was reproducible, and not to all flips, just quick ones.

PD
Nov 08, 2017, 12:41 AM
Regurgitation Utensil.
wrong thread. delete.
Nov 17, 2017, 12:00 AM
So, I eventually found that turning Airmode off and setting the minimum throttle to about 1100 (a solid spin for all motors) eliminated what I have found to be called "the flip of death".

Turning Airmode back on causes it to return.

I don't feel this is elegantly resolved, but it is resolved.

I hope this is useful to someone.
Nov 18, 2017, 01:41 AM
I am betting your gyro is going bad. 10 months of hard flying can really take a toll on electronics especially that are not made to take the forces that we see in a crash. If your going say 25mph and crash into a tree you might see 10+ g of acceleration. Do that a few times times a week for 10 months and you can bet that something is starting to work itself loose.