Another ID help thread - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 01:36 PM
Discussion

Another ID help thread

Anyone have any info on this one? Picked up at a local swap meet.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 01:46 PM
AMA 2680
Is this one from R/C Kits in Canton Ohio?
Nov 07, 2017, 01:58 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pminnick
Anyone have any info on this one? Picked up at a local swap meet.
Ok tongue in cheek answer. It is a Super Hunter II 40 size aerobatic plane trying to resemble a Hawker Hunter jet.

Seriously, it looks pretty good but I have no idea who kitted it and anything else about it. I would build it and fly it personally just because it looks cool.

The other question is what difference does it make. There are so many obscure and lesser known kits in the market. It is only a collectible if a collector found you and want the kit. If your next question is how much the kit is worth then sorry I have no answer for you.

Since you are holding the kit you probably have more answers than many of us.
Nov 07, 2017, 02:04 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Build it, and do a thread. You will have something unique that the cookie cutter crowd won't.

Robert
Nov 07, 2017, 02:12 PM
peeldog1 - I believe so. I will have to confirm when I get home tonight

Just trying to find some more info on it, and possibly some more pictures? There was apparently a .60 sized version as well. This kit has no plans, and I am unsure if it even had any. I know "Back in the day" a lot of the pattern/competition kits were "builders" kits that came with little or no documentation and left a lot of the building decisions up to the builder.

Its uniqueness is what attracted me to it. I like different.
Nov 07, 2017, 04:31 PM
DavidsPlanes
If it is a glass/foam model, then building plans are often not required. If it is a wood framed up model, then instructions and/or plans should come with it. Most experienced “pattern” builders don't need instructions but plans are always a very useful reference which should exist and be relied upon.

Some companies, like BHE for example, who offered both wood and glass versions of a model (e.g., Dirty Birdy), usually simplified the wood design plans to render them appropriate for the glass/foam kit and included these with the glass kit - very sensible.

David
Nov 07, 2017, 05:54 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pminnick
peeldog1 - I believe so. I will have to confirm when I get home tonight

Just trying to find some more info on it, and possibly some more pictures? There was apparently a .60 sized version as well. This kit has no plans, and I am unsure if it even had any. I know "Back in the day" a lot of the pattern/competition kits were "builders" kits that came with little or no documentation and left a lot of the building decisions up to the builder.

Its uniqueness is what attracted me to it. I like different.
As Dave said if it is a wood kit you need plans to build. Unless everything is notched so you know the rib spacing and formers placement. If it is foam and fiberglass then you probably can "wing" it but I still like to see some sort of "writings" from the manufacturer on recommended CG locations etc.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:17 PM
The Super Hunter was from Bob Campbell of R/C Kits in Ohio. I built one of the 60 size many years ago, good flying airplane but a lot of work. Bob did several jet style pattern kits, built up fuse with foam wings, a lot of wood blocks in the fuse requiring much shaping. Someone did a glass fuse version but it is called something other than Super Hunter. They show up for sale once in a while but they are pretty rare. Here's the 60 size plan, don't know if it will help you any.
Nov 07, 2017, 11:55 PM
AMA 2680
Bob had two versions, the .40 and .60. I know a few guys that built them in the area. Some liked them and some didn't. I used to fly w/ Bob. He was getting into the very large scale aircraft then as I was getting into pattern and IMAC.
When Bob passed away several years ago, friends went through his old stock. I too was looking for the .60 size prints. all they found were the .40 size. I'll ask around if they got tossed.
Bob's kits were a lot of carving, and tended to be heavy, think Bridi kits.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:33 AM
Sorry for the delay in posting. Got home and life got in the way (again, lol).

So, I did not get a chance to look at the kit box to verify if it is from R/C Kits in Canton Ohio, but I am pretty sure it is. The kit I have has Foam cores for the wing and a large number of blocks and sheet balsa.

gltruett - Thank you so much for the plans. Although I have the .40 size, these actually help me quite a bit with seeing former placement and cross sections to see how he achieved the rounded fuselage shape. This is exactly what I was hoping to learn from this post.

peeldog1 - If you could locate a set of plans for the .40 size, that would be amazing, and very much appreciated.

I think I can achieve a suitable facsimile of what is pictured on the label with the contents of the box.

Do either of you fine gentlemen happen to have any pictures floating around?

Thanks to all who responded. I knew I could count on this group.

Paul
Nov 09, 2017, 11:43 PM
AMA 2680
Paul,
No luck on prints. When Bob passed away someone else took over but then he passed away.
Good luck in your search.
Ed
Nov 13, 2017, 09:33 AM
Ed,

Thanks so much for checking. I appreciate it.

Paul