Do I need a new radio for quads? - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 01:24 PM
Question

Do I need a new radio for quads?

I am looking to start building and flying racing quads. I have a Spektrum DX7, DX6 and DX6i and I am used to using $7 DSM2 receivers in all of my planes just fine but I am not seeing those sorts of receivers or radios used for quads.

Should I just get a taranis and use FrSky instead of trying to use my existing spektrum radios? I am more interested in not wasting time than worrying about the cost of buying another radio and receivers.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 01:57 PM
You can certainly use Spektrum equipment for flying quads. Many people do. You can get small DSM receivers - lots use the LemonRX Satellite receivers.
Nov 07, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
You can certainly use Spektrum equipment for flying quads. Many people do. You can get small DSM receivers - lots use the LemonRX Satellite receivers.
Ah, it looks like I need to make sure I am using the Diversity antenna models of the lemon RX receivers? Instead of the featherlights with the tiny antennas like I am used to for planes?

Do I miss out on features like telemetry?
Nov 07, 2017, 02:36 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_butcher
Ah, it looks like I need to make sure I am using the Diversity antenna models of the lemon RX receivers? Instead of the featherlights with the tiny antennas like I am used to for planes?

Do I miss out on features like telemetry?
You really don't need "telemetry" for a racing quad. All you need is a flight controller with an integrated On Screen Display (OSD) circuitry. The OSD overlays the FPV video feed with flight data, similar to a fighter pilot's HUD.
Nov 07, 2017, 05:15 PM
There is really two camps. One will say that with OSD, you are not missing anything on telemetry. Like Oldgazer mentioned, everything is display in the FPV feed. Except you will not get RSSI unless you wire it up. The other way to get RSSI (without wiring up) is to send the telemetry RSSI back to the FC through a spare channel. This brings me to the second camp. Telemetry is nice even though you have OSD. Having telemetry allows you to setup audible warnings. It also allows you to use LUA script for VTX settings, camera settings and PIDs setting through your TX.

Hopes that helps in your decision.
Nov 07, 2017, 05:39 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo614
There is really two camps. One will say that with OSD, you are not missing anything on telemetry. Like Oldgazer mentioned, everything is display in the FPV feed. Except you will not get RSSI unless you wire it up. The other way to get RSSI (without wiring up) is to send the telemetry RSSI back to the FC through a spare channel. This brings me to the second camp. Telemetry is nice even though you have OSD. Having telemetry allows you to setup audible warnings. It also allows you to use LUA script for VTX settings, camera settings and PIDs setting through your TX.

Hopes that helps in your decision.
Now you're talking FrSky (which I have). The OP has Spektrum (which I don't).
Nov 07, 2017, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
Now you're talking FrSky (which I have). The OP has Spektrum (which I don't).
I understand OP. He is debating whether to get a new Frsky or use his Spektrum. If he keeps his Spektrum, then he will be camp one, OSD to get telemetry. If he wants to go to Frsky, he will be in second camp where telemetry to the radio is important.
Nov 08, 2017, 06:30 AM
Quote:
I understand OP. He is debating whether to get a new Frsky or use his Spektrum. If he keeps his Spektrum, then he will be camp one, OSD to get telemetry. If he wants to go to Frsky, he will be in second camp where telemetry to the radio is important.
Why is telemetry to the radio important on Frsky? Its convenient for some things but its not important.

Id personally just go with Frsky vecause everyone I know with Spektrum gets sick of the constant failsafes.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:15 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
Why is telemetry to the radio important on Frsky? Its convenient for some things but its not important.

Id personally just go with Frsky vecause everyone I know with Spektrum gets sick of the constant failsafes.
I was trying not to go there.

I like FrSky too. I have an X9E, and I've been using an XJT with my trusty TH9X for quite a while. Recently I upgraded the TH9X with an AR9X board so I could get more functionality and run OpenTX.

I use the X9E to fly 2 quads and a Hex that have Pixhawk flight controllers and X8R receivers. For telemetry I use Craft&Theory Flight Deck .

I use the TH9X to fly a 250 quad with an Omnibus F4 flight controller and an XM+ receiver, running iNav 1.8, and I just added a 500mm quad with an SP Racing F3 flight controller with an X6R receiver that is also running iNav. I hope to maiden the 500 in the next few days, weather permitting. I am not using telemetry with this radio because each of these aircraft have FPV and OSDs.

As far as Spektrum goes, I have no personal experience, but I too have read numerous complaints about glitching and signal drop outs, but the biggest thing that steered me to a Taranis was cost vs functionality.

For example, I paid about $90.00 plus shipping for the TH9X. Add another $80.00 or so for an XJT and an X8R, and $30.00 for the AR9X. That is pretty close to the cost of a Taranis.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki

I never said it was important. I was just presenting two point of views. If OP wants telemetry for the reasons I stated then go with Frsky. If he doesn't want telemetry, stick with Spektrum.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:18 AM
Quote:

^^^ Yeah this is really what I mean. I have had no problems with my Spektrum so far but I am surrounded by Spektrum experts in my RC club. The feature set of the Taranis does have some appeal though.

It seems like the best path is to get a LemonRX diversity receiver for DSMX that does PPM and TRY this with my spektrum equipment first. If that works with no brownouts or a bunch of failsafes, I have probably decided what "camp" I am in.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:23 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_butcher
^^^ Yeah this is really what I mean. I have had no problems with my Spektrum so far but I am surrounded by Spektrum experts in my RC club. The feature set of the Taranis does have some appeal though.

It seems like the best path is to get a LemonRX diversity receiver for DSMX that does PPM and TRY this with my spektrum equipment first. If that works with no brownouts or a bunch of failsafes, I have probably decided what "camp" I am in.
Exactly. Use what works for you...
Nov 09, 2017, 10:21 PM
And then there is always that guy that says go for an fs-i6 tx with an fs-ia6b rx and save your money for props!