Micro Aces Se5a dihedral - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 12:51 PM
Discussion

Micro Aces Se5a dihedral

Hi,
I'm building the MA Se5a and its coming along OK but it seems that the dihedral seems to sag. When building I used the jig to set it but the wing panels are only attached by gluing to one of the double ribs. The other rib is glued to the center section. I haven't mounted the top wing yet or tightened the string braces yet. Does that help or did I miss something in the build?
Thanks,
Ray
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 12:54 PM
The rigging sets the dihedral, just be sure to not over do it and have both sides the same without any twist
Nov 08, 2017, 06:47 PM
Thanks Sirpercy but it seems that the rigging only adjusts the wing washout not the dihedral.
Ray
Nov 09, 2017, 04:42 AM
Crashing with style
Hi Ray,

There are two things to do here that really make a difference;

Firstly, when the wings are in the jig apply a thin bead of CA or aliphatic resin to the joint where the wing meets the centre section.

Allow this to dry then turn the wing over - remove the jig, apply more CA or alipahtic to the joints between the ribs and the wing sections. Allow this to dry - (I usually stand the wing on the LE to retain the dihedral at this stage).

With this glue the wings should be less likely to sag than with just UHU por.

Secondly - rigging. Tension on specific wires will help support the wings - see the image - I've indicated which ones do - both front and back of course!
Nov 09, 2017, 11:59 AM
Hi Jon,
Thanks! I'm not sure that I can do this retro actively but will give it a try. I'll try to loosen all the rigging and ant use some CA at the joint between the outer panels and center section. It would be great if you could add this tip to the wing build page.
Really like your planes!
Hope that you're doing well.
Ray
Nov 11, 2017, 03:56 PM
Single-task at best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Hi,
I'm building the MA Se5a and its coming along OK but it seems that the dihedral seems to sag. When building I used the jig to set it but the wing panels are only attached by gluing to one of the double ribs. The other rib is glued to the center section. I haven't mounted the top wing yet or tightened the string braces yet. Does that help or did I miss something in the build?
Thanks,
Ray
So it wasn't just me then!

I settled on putting a couple of spots of foam-friendly CA on the joint to hold it in station.

Incidentally, my SE5a had its maiden flight this afternoon; flew just the way it should!

Tim
Last edited by tim hooper; Nov 11, 2017 at 04:10 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:02 PM
I left mine to set over night on this thursday evening and came down in the morning smuggly expecting them to have stuck and picked them up and got the droop! have now fixed by adding glue to the upper side of the joints. needed to be rather heavy handed on the glue and hoping droop wont return. Other than that have been really pleased with it so far.
Nov 12, 2017, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird
... when the wings are in the jig apply a thin bead of CA or aliphatic resin to the joint where the wing meets the centre section.
I've had much better results with CA than with aliphatic (Deluxe Materials). The aliphatic cured somewhat flexible -- not sure if this is the case with all aliphatics or just the Deluxe Materials I am/was using.

Gene K
Nov 13, 2017, 12:27 PM
Here's what I've been using with great success over the years - http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgfoam.html

A drop of foam safe c/a for immediate set is also appropriate the odd time.
Nov 13, 2017, 02:09 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the additional feedback. I loosened up the rigging and used some foam safe CA on the top wing, then tried to tighten up the rigging wires as Jon suggested. It seemed to help. I test flew the Se5 over the weekend and it flies great! I actually built this one for a friend and will build another - for me with Jon's suggestions.
Thanks MA and Jon for a great flier!
Ray
Nov 13, 2017, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26
Here's what I've been using with great success over the years - http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgfoam.html
Good stuff, but we were talking in regard to ensuring that the dihedral is set at the wing center join. Foam Tac (as well as UHU por which I prefer) remains flexible ... which is not the desired effect in this case.

Gene K
Nov 14, 2017, 04:47 PM
Glad to hear it flew well. Thanks everyone for the tips on glue. I will have to get some foamsafe CA before joining the top wings. Have used uhu por for some joints and aliphatic for some. but could definitely do with a little rigidity at the joint.
Regards to all
Nov 14, 2017, 09:28 PM
Yes, it needs some kind of dihedral brace. Mine gave me a lot of trouble. Maybe I'll go back to it someday, take out all the rigging, re-glue it, and re-rig. In the meantime I've given up trying to fly it.