Aurora 9 + DM9 Module - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 12:03 PM
Discussion

Aurora 9 + DM9 Module

I'm about 99% sure this will work, or maybe mostly hopeful..

Hitec Aurora9 in PPM/P mode + DM9 Spektrum Module. = Happiness ?

Anyone done it ?

Interested mostly if the Communication will work .. PPM/P to DM9 Module.

Form factor is not a issue. Need DSMX as everything I have has DSXM Rx.
I dont have anything that is BNF. ( So that is not an Issue)

Just posted this to see if anyone had actually done it.

I started down this path as my JR9303 died recently and I have two Aurora 9 that never go used.
but I have everything on Spektrum. ( I always lived the feel of the radio)
Last edited by flyhigh300; Nov 07, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 12:33 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
You need a DM8, not a DM9.

The Aurora takes Futaba-style modules (mounted upside down). The DM9 is a larger, JR-style module and will not fit. The DM8 will fit, but be mounted upside down.

The DM8 also remaps the standard Futaba AETR channel mapping (IIRC Hitec uses AETR as well) to Spektrum-default TAER, allowing compatibility with BnF & UM models (including AS3X and SAFE), and correct failsafe with the receivers that only have preset ch1 for throttle
Nov 07, 2017, 12:36 PM
The spectrum module you show appears to be the JR version. The Aurora 9 module is of the Futaba type.

You need the SPMMSFUT7 version. Note that either of these two modules only speak DMS2 not DSMX. Probably can find a used one on the net.
Nov 07, 2017, 12:56 PM
Right.. did not care about the form factor .. it will just be mounted in the back ....

Just interested if the communication will work.. need DSMX

Thanks ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P
The spectrum module you show appears to be the JR version. The Aurora 9 module is of the Futaba type.

You need the SPMMSFUT7 version. Note that either of these two modules only speak DMS2 not DSMX. Probably can find a used one on the net.
Nov 07, 2017, 01:00 PM
Dont plan to use any BNF stuff .. ( Everything I fly has an depended Rx's) and Aurora 9 Lets me change mode .. 1,2.. custom ect.
Also looks like like I am able to map each channel as needed.

Initial research indicated that DM8 Was discontinued but .. need DSMX anyway does not look like it supports it.

Thanks for the feedback..

Will update the initial post .. with scope of what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
You need a DM8, not a DM9.

The Aurora takes Futaba-style modules (mounted upside down). The DM9 is a larger, JR-style module and will not fit. The DM8 will fit, but be mounted upside down.

The DM8 also remaps the standard Futaba AETR channel mapping (IIRC Hitec uses AETR as well) to Spektrum-default TAER, allowing compatibility with BnF & UM models (including AS3X and SAFE), and correct failsafe with the receivers that only have preset ch1 for throttle
Nov 07, 2017, 01:16 PM
Why the need for DSMX? You fly at big events like Nall?

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 01:53 PM
Andy .. now I'm confused.. :-)

I know I had a RX that was clearly labeled DSM2 and I could never get it to bind to my JR9303.
With all my other RX I never had any problem.. so I'm assuming they are DSMX..

hmm have quite a few AR7700 .. dont think those will work.. ( I may have been trying to match it with this Rx)

ar6200 looks like go both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Why the need for DSMX? You fly at big events like Nall?

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 02:10 PM
The AR6200 will bind with DSM2 or DSMX transmitters, but only in DSM2 mode. Thus, it will not bind to a DXe because the DXe is DSMX-only. It will work fine with a module.

The AR7700 will bind with DSM2 or DSMX transmitters, either as DSM2 or DSMX per the transmitter. I will check with the engineer, but I'm like 99.44% sure it will work with a DSM2 module.

It sounds like you might have had a bad receiver there. The 9303 in DSM2 mode should have bound with it, and after a DSMX upgrade it should have still worked.

There are a handful of receivers (mostly early UMX and a few oddball non-Spektrum units like the E-flite ones) that wouldn't bind to a module.

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 02:33 PM
OK, he says the AR7700 + DM8/DM9 should be no problem at all.

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks Andy..

Will see if the Frankin Radio works out..

I'm only doing this because I have 2 Aurora 9's and my JR died.. ( that radio just felt right in your hands)
all the stuff today just feels so bulky..

The Aurora9 seem a bit smaller but heavier...

I payed full retail for my JR9303 almost 10 years ago.. cant afford that again right now.

DM9 seems to be .. at least the Antenna part.. very much like the original Hitec one in size.
so hoping at least that part can fit inside the case.

Will see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
OK, he says the AR7700 + DM8/DM9 should be no problem at all.

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 03:02 PM
I don't know that an Aurora will accept a DM9 module. I would have expected DM8, since my own ancient Eclipse 7 used a DM8 (Hitec tends to follow Futaba for compatibility).

Hopefully it works out for you.

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 03:15 PM
Those there is a few threads on here where people have modified the DM9 for use on Futaba via the Trainer port..

Mostly looks like they invert the PPM to Positive..

Since Aurora is giving me the option for modulation PPM/P or PPM/N I'm hopeful it will work.

Will see :-)
Nov 07, 2017, 04:24 PM
As noted above, there are also timing differences between JR/Spektrum vs. Futaba/Hitec and channel order that are not going to be easy to deal with. They are two different products for a reason, the least of which is the form factor.

Andy
Nov 07, 2017, 08:42 PM
yes definitely worried about the .. timing issue..

Channels can be re-mapped far as i can tell .. ( just did a quick test on the "monitor screen" )

The timing issue will put an end to this .. if I cant find a solution..

DM8 may be better.. but so post seem to use a supporting circuit.. while other do not ...
Unclear so far how they are doing it..
Nov 07, 2017, 09:05 PM
S.A.D. member
Don't have an A9 so can not speak from experience but from the pics I've seen the A9 has pins offset to one side from those in the older 72MHz Hitec trannies (had a bunch of them and still have some ). The DM8 module (I still have several I keep for modifications to fit Futaba 10C/10J/8J) will not fit with offset pins in the modular bay. I do not know if your A9 has both the "normal" and "offset" pins which I've seen in older A9s. If yours has all 9 (or 10?) pins and you would like to experiment, I can sell you one of my modules so you can try it by physically modifying the case and board (additional holes for the extra pins if they won't cut through traces).

I am not aware of "timing issues" with the DM8/DM9 module other than it erroneously is looking for the "long" part of the pulse and totally ignoring the "start" pulse while all transmitters use the complete pulse duration - Lo-Hi to Lo-Hi transition or Hi-Lo to Hi-Lo transition duration. But this is easily fixable by adjusting the sub trims.

The DM8 was built for Futaba transmitters and works just fine in any Hitec 72MHz transmitter with module bay - Prism 7/7X, Eclipse 7 and Optic 6. If the A9 module bay output is in any way compatible with those transmitters it should work just fine with the DM8.

Ivan