HobbyKing Digital Sound Level Meter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

HobbyKing Digital Sound Level Meter

This Digital Sound Meter is great for checking the sound level of your engine anywhere anytime. It's small and can fit right in with your other tools and accessories.

Splash

Monitor Your Engine Noise Levels

Let's face it, loud engines are responsible for the loss of airfields, neighbor complaints and is one the largest detractions to flying gas/glow at model airplane flying fields in populated areas. Sure we love to hear to the sounds and smells of gas, but people on the outside, not so much. That's why we see electric only fields and clubs and why so many flying events have a noise level cap for those attending.

We love how Hobbyking has all kinds of useful tools and knick knacks for the RC hobby and this Digital Sound Meter is great for checking the sound level of your engine anywhere anytime. It's small and can fit right in with your other tools and accessories. It has a removable pop shield and mount for a tripod along with an easy to read backlit digital display that indicates real time sound levels in dB. Using this meter, you can ensure that your engine, muffler, prop combination meets event standards like you see at Joe Nall. The sound meter is available for $11.24.

Check out the HobbyKing Digital Sound Level Meter here

Features:

• Automatic Backlit Display
  • Max/Min Hold Function
  • Auto Power Off
  • Low Battery Indicator
  • Built-in 13mm Condenser Mic
  • 9v Dry Cell Battery (Included)
  • 30 Hours Operation per Battery (Approx)
  • Instructions Included

Specs:

• Measuring range: 30dBA~130dBA
  • Accuracy: 1.5dB (94dB@1KHz)
  • Frequency range: 31.5Hz~8kHz
  • Frequency weighting: A
  • Digital display: 4 digits
  • Resolution: 0.1dB
  • Sample rate: 2 times/second
  • Microphone: 1/2 inch electret condenser microphone
  • Power supply: 9V battery
  • Power life: About 30 hours (alkaline battery)
  • Operating condition: 0~40C, 10~80%RH
  • Storage condition: -10~60C, 10~70%RH
  • Dimension: 149mmx26mmx57mm
  • Weight: 144g (Inc Battery)

Nov 07, 2017, 11:43 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
It is priced right, has anyone used this particular model before?

I am curious how accurate it actually is.
Nov 07, 2017, 03:37 PM
Engine man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
It is priced right, has anyone used this particular model before?

I am curious how accurate it actually is.
That IS the $10,000 question. I know the sound meter apps you can load on a cell phone are not very accurate compared to my fields calibrated dB meter.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:28 PM
You do know that they have sound meter apps for smartphones now too. It sort of eliminates the need to have a separate device for it nowadays.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
You do know that they have sound meter apps for smartphones now too. It sort of eliminates the need to have a separate device for it nowadays.
See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
I know the sound meter apps you can load on a cell phone are not very accurate compared to my fields calibrated dB meter.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:59 AM
I bought one of the old Radio Shack (gone like hobby shops now too....) sound meters.
It's interesting but my experience with it is that it's presence at the field is usually met
with hostility or apathy. It either gets me thrown off the field or people either don't
care what it says or refuse to believe what it says.

D.H.
Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Luckily, our field has enough trees around it, that, at least so far, sound hasn't been an issue. However, occasionally, when someone brings a straight pipe engine, I do worry a little about ear drum damage?