AEO 27 trough 40mm 8 blades EDF - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 07, 2017, 04:03 AM
flying beam
Question

AEO 27 trough 40mm 8 blades EDF

I'm slowly venturing into the micro edf realm (a lot of reading not enough time ).

These units will be on sale at aliexpress.

Are they worth purchasing for 19$ free shipping ?

Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 12:10 PM
Blackmoon
The AEO 40 mm EDFs in particular are really quite good. Not that powerful, they are all really only 2s rated, but quite efficient particularly at reduced throttle. Some are better balanced than others!

The lower power of the smaller ones need really light air frames to work well but they are cheap enough to 'have a go' without risking that much.
Nov 07, 2017, 12:58 PM
IMO :-) Not even for Free.
These feature Very poorly made ; shrouds and even motors . Not recommended buys.
Yess I have several and they are Useless for purpose.. Grr.
Lotsa reports on .. aeo quality..if one looks.
That said; their 8 blade rotors are decent to v good.. when retrofitted into Other fans though.

I've had luck (so far with the Qx 30mm fans (have several ) Double the thrusts of the aeo's .
https://www.banggood.com/QX-Motor-30...r_warehouse=CN
Although two others have posted reports of exploding their motors... under 'unclear' conditions however.
All I can say with assurance, is that mine are intact.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:57 PM
flying beam
So if I want something in the 27/28 mm I have not much choice than go with a UMX DELTA V 180 unit ?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I received a complete UMX MIG 15 airframe and looking for a cheaper EDF alternative

I'm reluctant to fork +/- 57€ for a complete DELTA V 180

I was thinking I could go cheaper with AEO 27.

Gotta search the MIG 15 thread to see if someone put in a 30mm, then the QX will be one option.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:34 PM
Blackmoon
All I can say is that a 40 mm AEO powers my true scale 32" *(810 mm) span DH Venom very well using a 1400 mAh 2s.
Name: 13Aug17.JPG
Views: 5
Size: 218.6 KB
Description:
Yes its very light (Depron) but it does all the basic aeros easily and with throttle management has flown for 15 minutes.
I have two 30 mm AEOs in my similar size English Electric Canberra which uses a 950 mAh 2s.
Name: Complete4.JPG
Views: 2
Size: 152.2 KB
Description:
Obviously a much shorter endurance with less efficient EDFs and a smaller battery but it sounds great.
Then four 40 mm AEOs power my scale 7 foot (2 m) long Scale Concorde which uses a 3000 mAh 2s.
Name: 25Aug17c.JPG
Views: 4
Size: 135.2 KB
Description:
About the most inefficient low speed wing you can imagine so little opportunity for throttle management but it certain;y looks the part.

Small AEO fans unfit for purpose? Hardly!
Nov 08, 2017, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon
So if I want something in the 27/28 mm I have not much choice than go with a UMX DELTA V 180 unit ?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I received a complete UMX MIG 15 airframe and looking for a cheaper EDF alternative

I'm reluctant to fork +/- 57€ for a complete DELTA V 180

I was thinking I could go cheaper with AEO 27.

Gotta search the MIG 15 thread to see if someone put in a 30mm, then the QX will be one option.
Agreed they are a bit pricey. Power to weight the 2s Eflite is one of the few options in it's weight class. Tower (Great Planes) has their ultra-light 30mm unit back in stock, which for the past few years was sold at extortion prices in the US and UK, by those who had cleaned out earlier stock. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWMA&P=M
The Eflite 10mm inrunner should be useable in the fan, as another option. Depending on weight, the Eflite fan is a bit heavier, and has mounting ears that add weight and may need to be cut off, for some apps. Obviously the Eflite is a more robust, or at least more rigid fan housing, but that comes with added weight. The Great Planes 10mm motor is extremely light, but pricey. I used it in a light twin with success, where light weight was a high priority.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...BPXF&P=PU#tech

A consideration about the QX fan is it's high level of reported power, for it's size. Often we see exhausts, and sometimes intakes oversized in small models, so that a 40mm EDF can be used. Why bother, when you can get the same or similar level of power from a 30mm fan and quite possibly have more scale intake/exhaust. Other than currently having 2 on the bench, I haven't ran them much, but if they pan out to be a good fan, they will pretty much be a replacement for what I've been doing in the past with 40mm EDF units. For scale appearance on a model, the inlet area required for a 40mm EDF would probably require an exit diameter closer to that of a 30mm EDF. Obviously that's not workable, while use of a 30mm EDF in the same model would allow for scale exhaust diameter. The inlet being larger than FSA would be more desirable, than an undersized outlet. Models like the Sncaso So.6000 below could be built with a 100% scale exhaust, with the QX fan versus the GWS EDF40 unit and 12mm inrunner used. The remaining gear used should be the same. The Yak30/32 is a subject I really have in mind for the QX fan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-32
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-30_(1960)
Last edited by AntiArf; Nov 08, 2017 at 12:33 AM.
Nov 08, 2017, 07:49 AM
flying beam
I searched and read a lot yesterday (up past 3am, shouldn't do that often), like everything, you have to do it and forge your proper opinion, I sometimes forget that an hobby isn't cheap.
I read the "High-Performance-40mm-EDF-testing" and other threads, and I'm seeing images of self built EDF units (talk about running before learning to walk )

Thanks again Quorneng and AntiArf, for your insight. Your models are truly beautiful.

AntiArf your Saro TG263 and Sncaso So.6000, are jaw-dropping.

Myself, I'm on the other end of the spectrum (more a ARF/RTF guy) but I begin to see the light
I do love unconventional models, It's refreshing to see something new than the rehashed ad nauseam P-51, Mig-29, T-45 (not that I dislike those) etc.

Need to build more to improve my skills, I just bought the "Mikoyan Gurevich MIG-15 (Scale Plans) " so I can have a good 3 view of a UTI version.
First time I saw a picture of it, just fell in love. I'm cogitating to bash my new UMX MIG 15 into a UTI.
Last edited by blackmoon; Nov 08, 2017 at 08:14 AM.
Nov 08, 2017, 06:46 PM
BFMAC Member #13
blackmoon,
i have done the self build of the eflite foam parts with an aeo 27 and frysky fast rx, and hk servos. came out just about the same weight as the stock eflite,and probably is just a little down on power compared to stock. i have a stock one as well. it does fly it though. and i used an esc that is 3 s rated, if i ever want to try and blow up the fan.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:05 PM
flying beam
Thanks for chiming in mongo.

I found the 27 at Banggood to, and at the same price, I'll maybe order one to see how it fares.

On another note, is the 180BL inrunner a 10 or 12mm OD?

I just remembered that I still have some micro losi inrunner (10250 and 8750KV) from my walkera 4#3 helicopter brushless conversion days.

Their specs are :
Cells:4 cell NiMH, 2-3S LiPo
Weight:0.317 oz (9.0g)
Overall Diameter:0.47 in (12.0mm)
Shaft Diameter:0.059 in (1.5mm)
Shaft Length:0.295 in (7.5mm)
Overall Length:0.866 in (22.0mm)

Would be nice if they could fit the DELTA-V unit.

Why can't Horizon put the specs of their stuff , just sucks to loose so much time to find such data. It would be nice that it was just in the product page like other manufacturers.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon
Thanks for chiming in mongo.

I found the 27 at Banggood to, and at the same price, I'll maybe order one to see how it fares.

On another note, is the 180BL inrunner a 10 or 12mm OD?

I just remembered that I still have some micro losi inrunner (10250 and 8750KV) from my walkera 4#3 helicopter brushless conversion days.

Their specs are :
Cells:4 cell NiMH, 2-3S LiPo
Weight:0.317 oz (9.0g)
Overall Diameter:0.47 in (12.0mm)
Shaft Diameter:0.059 in (1.5mm)
Shaft Length:0.295 in (7.5mm)
Overall Length:0.866 in (22.0mm)

Would be nice if they could fit the DELTA-V unit.

Why can't Horizon put the specs of their stuff , just sucks to loose so much time to find such data. It would be nice that it was just in the product page like other manufacturers.
They're not 100% clear with parts specs. When you look up the fan, all you see is the fan, with no motor options listed. The fan and motors are 10mm diameter, and they're are 2 versions. No valid reason for the vast price difference, other than they must know that they can get more for the higher kv version.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...=EFLM30180MDFB
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...=EFLM30180MDFD
Nov 09, 2017, 11:06 AM
flying beam
Thanks for that info.

I just found on the Mig 15 Mods that Nitro made available a 28mm unit to be used with a 12mm inrunner. It can be bought on shapeways. It's time that the losi inrunners stop gathering dust and fit their purpose.

And yes HH prices are high, but their after-sales service is second to none, peace of mind has no price. But it's true that sometimes is hard to pay for a micro what I pay for a 1.2m plane.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:53 PM
Not trying to be argumentative, but something to consider is that I haven't had much problem with micro gear, other than Horizon micro linear servos and 2 bricks (one sticking servo and one fet failure) since we're discussing their micro gear. At the time, trying to argue the ESD H-bridge blowing issue with them and getting replacements for cheap parts was the last thing on my mind, as I had also modified the leads (defeats warranty) as many do. Of course I could have bought high cost extensions with connectors, but that kinda defeats the ultra-light purpose. At the time, my main consideration was replacing them in my micro builds (PIA) without having them fail again (basically an immediate failure, no fights got in) and just moving on from that point. Never had the HK micro linear, or any other 2gm range servo fail, so I've just been using them from then on, and haven't had problems. These servos were not on 5V BECS also, and in at least half the cases, were used with their bricks. Other apps had diode drop, which doesn't seem to be related to the known failure issue anyway. Main point being, warranty/service basically does nothing for me, with cheap gear. It just needs to work.

On the Losi motors, I wish we had more info on their usage in small fans, and possibly some other motors. Possibly a benefit of the larger motor is reliability. Assuming the same kv, you have to load the larger motor with a higher power rating, to take advantage of it. Not sure if there's any power to be gained from them, over the 10mm Eflite inrunner however, unless maybe adding a cell and taking advantage of a motor that likely has a higher power rating. I've been looking into the idea of a high powered fan in the 20-25mm range, with something that could produce around 55-60W. Maybe something like the Losi, other 12mm inrunner, or one of the small quad outrunners with a relatively high power rating for it's size would work. Not much info however.
Last edited by AntiArf; Nov 11, 2017 at 04:11 PM.
Nov 12, 2017, 10:12 AM
flying beam
I'm using the 12mm because I have them in "stock".

I like experimenting, this is a new field for me so I'm like a sponge absorbing the most information I can get.

I decided to use a 28mm NC shrouds, the losi and a AEO 27mm rotor or a 30mm cut-down. I just don't know if the 30mm rotor needs a 2mm shaft adapter, the losi shaft is 1.5mm. I'll see when it gets here.

Only thing I'm fearing is the weight of the 12mm vs 10mm, but will see.
Last edited by blackmoon; Nov 12, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:20 AM
I hear you. I just bought a 12mm inrunner over the weekend.
I've used them since I had them also. Used two 30mm fans with 12mm inrunners on my recent Meteor build. The fans were built around 10 years ago, before 10mm inrunner fans were available. I would have liked the weight savings of the lighter 10mm fans, but there are some advantages to the 12mm fans. The gear isn't worked hard. Used a single, reliable P10 ESC (also have used the Tbird 6 for the same twin setup). Not sure how well the smaller motors would work with this twin/single ESC arrangement. The motors aren't pushed hard either, drawing well less than rated current.
Nov 14, 2017, 01:42 PM
flying beam
What is the KV of the motor ?

Is it for a 30mm ?

(I'm also looking to 20mm inrunners, man this never stops)