This thread is privately moderated by kiwi_craig, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 06, 2017, 11:39 PM
Slideways at warp speed.......
Thread OP
Build Log

Blade 200 SRX / 230 S replacement ESC's

As some will know there was a range of "issues" with the 2 in 1 esc on the blade 200 SRX tail motors, from my delving into this I have generally found the issue was more related to the wiring plugs, especially the slim line plugs in the tail rear section and people fitting the tail blade on backwards = instant motor over heat..

Others have added a standalone esc which I have done with success but have looked to go one step further and go dual stand alone esc's on brushless heli etc for ultimate tenability especially once the gutless main motor is ditched for some more respectable power wise ! 0n both the 200 SRX and the 230 S.

Builds in progress are:

Conversion of Blade 200srx with single 2 in 1 esc to initially a separate tail esc and then two aftermarket esc’s with replacement higher spec main motor (performance build).

Conversion of the blade 230 S to two aftermarket ESC’s with upgrade higher spec main motor.

200 SRX tail upgrades
Initial findings on my two blade 200 SRX’s – additional tail ESC, both are running three bladed heads, one with a stock main motor, the second with an up spec 210 watt - 4100kv motor (hobbyking EH200).

I have trialled two ESC units on the tails, DYS SN10A and DYS SN20A.

The 10 amp ESC is marginal and has resulted in motor overheating at times and are not recommended.
The 20 amp esc is performing fine and appears to be well suited to this application.

Next stage is to change the main esc out for an aftermarket for the bird with the upspec main motor, have allot of issue with stalled starts on initial spin up, once spinning its fine – good.

230S
Bird 1 has been upmotor’d for increased performance with a 2625 3900kv motor, this has serious power vs stock (which is pretty gutless) the stock esc can run the motor just fine but has a very aggressive kick on start which is annoying. Would be good to figure out how to access the code on these esc’s………

Combined main motor at full power plus tail at mid stick = 260 watts power draw at 12 volts = close to 22 amps main and tail. Additional testing on the tail circuit at full power and the main with the tail “off” will be done to get a better base line but noting the main motor is a 2625 and is allot motor powerful than stock.

I did try a turnigy T2627, this was total overkill power wise (these are used as 300X/CFX replacement motors).

Bird 2: This is being built up from spares for a scale shell build. The stock main motor has been replaced with a Tarot 3900kv unit (210 watts) for increased performance to counter the weight increase. Stock Tail motor but with an upgraded tail blade.

Main ESC, first trialled a turnigy plush 18amp, this struggled with the esc getting hot and the main motor overheating. Replacing with a turnigy 25 amp unit has resulted in smooth operation and no ESC heating.

Tail motor DYS XM10A, this was hopeless and struggled to power the motor with surging and major motor overheating.

Temporarily swapped in a DYX SN30A and it runs smooth and cold. A 20A is on the way.

In theory a 20amp main and 10amp tail should have worked but to date this has proven not to be the case……………

Initial Recommendations
For the 200 SRX / S and 230 S : At least a 20 amp esc (stock motor) or 25 amp esc (up spec motor) is recommended, these need to have a decent BEC capability to feed the 230 S / 200 S digital servos.

It would appear that the tail motors have a high current draw and a 20 amp opto type esc is recommended, better to have capacity buffer rather than melt down the tail motor on marginal amperage supply.

Main Motor esc: the Turnigy plush gives a delightful super smooth slow start on the main motor. Yes an old school- older tech unit but they have worked nicely on every 200 – 250 - 300 size heli I have tried them on.

More to follow, this is to just get things underway
Last edited by kiwi_craig; Nov 06, 2017 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply