My thoughts as 70 year learner - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2017, 07:08 PM
Discussion

My thoughts as 70 year learner

Hi, my name is Dave and I am 70 years old, I live in Western Australia. Here we have problems with the wind and number of sat available so being able to fly yourself out of a problem is top order. I am hooked on drones(I have 28, but about half are work in progress. Here is my thoughts. Easiest to fly are zero x( no fancy stuff ,strictly fly only and bullet proof. My first drone) ,parrot bebop, Wingsland ,reluctantly p3 , p2, walkera racer, hubsans ( pain having compass calibrate every flight season though) I also have a yuneec, simtoo dragon fly, drone plane thing( you really need to be switched on to fly it but fun to play with) wltoy, all the last lot require more sats than is usual here( 2 to 7 mostly). I have also obtained several quads and hexas that people have lost interest in or got them and couldn't get them to fly. Keeps me occupied. It be nice if they drone maker put a little bit of consistency in things. ie, compass calibration. Batteries. But that is how it is. These just my thoughts as an old codger playing in a young generation field.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 07:49 PM
69 in Texas and just beginning. Just started flying just on a simulator.
Nov 06, 2017, 10:49 PM
At 56 I guess I'm just a pup, but I sure do like building and flying these things.
https://rotorbuilds.com/profile/2014/
Nov 07, 2017, 08:37 AM
Been flying fixed wing for 50 years, when I turned 60 this year decided to try something new. I bought a pre-built RXS 270 and caught my interest enough I decided to try building one, so have a ZMR 250 that's even more fun to fly.
All LoS so far, but thinking about giving that FPV thing a go.
Nov 07, 2017, 09:12 AM
I started flying quads at 66. Been flying RC for over 30 years. FPV is a new and cool experience.
Nov 07, 2017, 01:59 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
55 years old here.

I started building and flying Multicopters in 2014. I have three, I have since turned All three MR's from quadcopters to X8 Coaxial Octocopters.

It all started when I purchased a Syma X5C for my youngest son , who was a senior in college at the time.

He never opened it and left it in his old bedroom and went back to school. Well I found it , opened it up and took it outside to fly it. I enjoyed it so much I joined the RC Groups.com Forum and learned all I could about building my own little sUAS.

As they say, the rest is "history." I can't tell you how "addicting" this Hobby is.
Nov 07, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3NFO
Been flying fixed wing for 50 years, when I turned 60 this year decided to try something new. I bought a pre-built RXS 270 and caught my interest enough I decided to try building one, so have a ZMR 250 that's even more fun to fly.
All LoS so far, but thinking about giving that FPV thing a go.
Fixed-winger here too. Go for FPV; it's way more engaging than anything else I've tried. The goggles don't crash, get good ones.

PD
Nov 07, 2017, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1
Fixed-winger here too. Go for FPV; it's way more engaging than anything else I've tried. The goggles don't crash, get good ones.

PD
After a year of FPV I can fully agree that it is very different than LOS RC flying - and the better you can see the better you can fly. And the simulators are very realistic so you can practice and improve your skills quickly. Once you are hooked, you need to get some high end goggles!
Nov 07, 2017, 05:08 PM
Hi, I started my RC interest on building 4x4 trucks aand Rock hoppers.I had one go at planes but they kept being taken out by brown Hawks. Thought of helicopters with razor sharp blades.:-) but that was in simple days not like today's RC gear. My brother got me going, and to say they are addictive is a understatement. At the moment I enjoy flying and fixing but now getting thoughs of getting deeper into it.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:12 AM
Dam I'm 30. I pretty much got my start in drones by accident.I walked into a shop looking for a big heli and they convinced me to try a blade 350qx3 instead. I split it in half within the week trying to fly acro but was permanently hooked. Im not into the self flying quads, mostly because I find it boring watching them fly themselves.
Nov 08, 2017, 04:52 PM
Hi MoldyStain, I am with you, had an incident here recently with a young fellow showing off his new p4. I asked him if he could fly it , answer (don't need to )by him and his father. My answer you may regret that. Karma at work.Two days later his sister informed me his drone had flown away. We looked for it for three days. I approached him and father and told that next time listen to advice. A farmer found it over 5 kms away in a not good condition (he wasn't wrong) a week later. I now have the wreckage. Flying ,building and fixing is definitely my interests.
Nov 09, 2017, 04:27 AM
Hi again, another useless transmitter. I have obtained quite a few transmitters amongst my collection. But after a week of banging my head against a brick wall attempting to set up a hexacopter trying to use two of them. I am not happy. I am not a fan of DJI but I also have several Naza flight controllers so Don't want to waste them.I have followed exactly as the manual says, spent untold hours on YouTube with no success. Most YouTube videos are old.(2013)My naza setup app is nothing like those on the YouTube videos. Very frustrating.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:15 AM
The Denying Dutchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyStain
Im not into the self flying quads, mostly because I find it boring watching them fly themselves.
I see it as "the panic button" being able to switch to "return to home" or just "GPS mode" has been a life saver for more times I can remember!
Nov 12, 2017, 07:45 PM

What happens if their is not enough sat signals

Those things are great but do not work if you don't have the required sat numbers, usually between 9 and 11. Some one can correct me if I am wrong.
Nov 13, 2017, 11:56 AM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkydave
Those things are great but do not work if you don't have the required sat numbers, usually between 9 and 11. Some one can correct me if I am wrong.
You need to acquire 7 or more satellites. Some individuals in Australia were experiencing the "toilet Bowl effect" when hovering.

They resolved this by adjusting there GPS Puck according to there Magnetic Declination.

Finding it is easy by using this Calculator:

https://ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/