Ebay Gone Bad ? - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2017, 06:18 PM
Roll on Two !
Discussion

Ebay Gone Bad ?

The last 4 or five Ebay purchases have gone bad for some reason. An air sanitizer and some stereo stuff, all bad or incorrect description. I suppose I need to fling out the negative feedback the switch over to Amazon. Ebay gone bad ?
Used to be, the things I bought there were always good.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:22 PM
The QuadFather
I have only had one bad incident on eBay (knock on wood). were all these the same seller with different names? You can usually spot them pretty easily, just have to look. Most from China.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:42 PM
Roll on Two !
I gave up on Chinese electronics, I may just order components locally and hand wire special functions. I was trying some new class D amps which I am not liking. I like the good old tube and transistor amps that operate like valves.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking of building a pair of these monoblocks.
http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST120
Nov 06, 2017, 06:46 PM
SUPERDOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409
I'm thinking of building a pair of these monoblocks.
http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST120
Those are sure pretty but the price is staggering. How can a hand full of parts and a few transformers cost so much?
Nov 06, 2017, 06:48 PM
SUPERDOG!
After years of good luck I too have had a few bad deals recently. Two from China after many good deals from there. One recently from a hacked account. No money lost just hassle. Checking out sellers more closely now.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:01 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
When you jump in cold, or don't have any experience with a Chinese distributor, let alone a manufacturer, it is always a hit and miss affair.

But once you become familiar, through others 'real' reviews, or your own experience, Chinese products can be a very viable option.

Take Banggood.com. They used to be notorious for crap. However in the last year or so, they have strived to improve much of what they carry. Just pay attention and incredible bargains can be had. Most especially if they offer free shipping.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:20 PM
Roll on Two !
I like those. There is a sound tube amps have that many top musicians want. It's a sort of warm fuzzy sound that is difficult to simulate. They also emphasize harmonics that make the music seem much louder for the same watts output. Not only that but I like to turn a tube amp on, watch it glow, warm up and come to life. Catch a smell and wish I could play better.
Most of the big time bass players like the Ampeg SVT line of tube amps, you see them very often on the stage.They are something like $1800 and up, some $2500 and up.

Tube tech is a specialty of low volume , mostly hand wired systems. It easily adds up to several hundred dollars for the tubes alone. Used to be a few dollars.
A high power amp with usually have 6 or 8 of these 6L6G tubes, $53 each.
For many tubes, Russia is the only place that makes them.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L...Tung-Sol-6L6-G
Nov 06, 2017, 07:23 PM
Roll on Two !
I was sort of worried it was looking like I am stepping into the music amp business. Too late for that, I'm retired.
I do want to make me something like the All American 5 AM radio from tubes. It's an old standard AM radio used on tabletops for many years. Add one 1930's wood enclosure and listening to AM sometimes is like a trip back in time. I like that atmosphere. Just scanning for channels and to find some retro station that comes in on the skip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Five
Nov 06, 2017, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
Those are sure pretty but the price is staggering. How can a hand full of parts and a few transformers cost so much?
Gets worse - good tubes, particularly a rectifier you can trust in a high power/ current a application. It seems only the ones made 40 years ago are the only ones that stand up long term, new oldstock Mullard Gz 37's go for close to $200 a pop now. Only so many of them left. It forces folks to install (gasp!) sand diodes in a tube amp! The current production tubes don't hold a candle to them apparently, a lost art in manufacturing.

Those transformers are a specialty item, still made, but to order, and thus cost about $100 a pop.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:54 PM
No Country for Snowflake Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
When you jump in cold, or don't have any experience with a Chinese distributor, let alone a manufacturer, it is always a hit and miss affair.

But once you become familiar, through others 'real' reviews, or your own experience, Chinese products can be a very viable option.

Take Banggood.com. They used to be notorious for crap. However in the last year or so, they have strived to improve much of what they carry. Just pay attention and incredible bargains can be had. Most especially if they offer free shipping.
Truth be told, I trust Banggood a heck of a lot more than I do Hobby King. Plus, BG doesn't rape you on shipping.

Also, Gear Best is a good choice if you're not in a hurry.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:40 PM
My biggest complaint regarding ebay is they used to be a giant garage sell (great), now it's mostly stores/retail
Nov 06, 2017, 08:45 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
Hand assembly and wiring, also tubes aren't $3 like they used to be.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:49 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
I like those. There is a sound tube amps have that many top musicians want. It's a sort of warm fuzzy sound that is difficult to simulate. They also emphasize harmonics that make the music seem much louder for the same watts output. Not only that but I like to turn a tube amp on, watch it glow, warm up and come to life. Catch a smell and wish I could play better.
Most of the big time bass players like the Ampeg SVT line of tube amps, you see them very often on the stage.They are something like $1800 and up, some $2500 and up.

Tube tech is a specialty of low volume , mostly hand wired systems. It easily adds up to several hundred dollars for the tubes alone. Used to be a few dollars.
A high power amp with usually have 6 or 8 of these 6L6G tubes, $53 each.
For many tubes, Russia is the only place that makes them.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L...Tung-Sol-6L6-G
An old schoolmate builds guitar amps that are very well thought of-and not cheap-but they're hand built from top shelf components. He'll fix YOUR amp too, if you want.

http://toddsharpamps.com
Nov 06, 2017, 09:38 PM
Check out this Chinese amp! Digging those KT 150 tubes.
https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/...fb74a0a08c0e35