Ama ? - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2017, 03:13 PM
Discussion

Ama ?

Okay so just getting this off my chest... I am an old fart that flew in my younger years and was active in a local AMA club. Maybe it was the local folks and my young naivety but I remember the AMA seemingly being our organization and fairly responsive. I can remember pretty much every plane on the field proudly displaying the AMA number on the underside of the wing and I remember receiving AMA membership info. Skip forward 30 or so years and I recently started flying some quads and am getting back in to fixed wing with the plethora of electric offerings available these days. That said, I decided I better go ahead and join the AMA so I would be covered in any local flying that I do and figured it would be a great resource for looking in to finding a new local club to join. Well 45 or so days have passed since they gladly took my money and it seems that I am only added to some e-mail list. No card, no AMA number, no nothing but e-mails. Am I wrong for expecting a membership card and some basic welcome / this is our organization info?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 03:15 PM
Did they do away with cards?
Nov 06, 2017, 03:25 PM
If they did, I would then expect to get some e-mail welcoming me to the organization, explaining membership benefits and at the least giving me my membership number. The only e-mails I am getting is their general mailer list; for example the e-mail around lunch time today announcing Commercial Drone Insurance. Maybe I am just being too much of an old fart but I would expect some way to show my membership for events and I would assert that we are still required to have our AMA numbers on our aircraft for identification purposes.
Nov 06, 2017, 03:35 PM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighlous
Okay so just getting this off my chest... I am an old fart that flew in my younger years and was active in a local AMA club. Maybe it was the local folks and my young naivety but I remember the AMA seemingly being our organization and fairly responsive. I can remember pretty much every plane on the field proudly displaying the AMA number on the underside of the wing and I remember receiving AMA membership info. Skip forward 30 or so years and I recently started flying some quads and am getting back in to fixed wing with the plethora of electric offerings available these days. That said, I decided I better go ahead and join the AMA so I would be covered in any local flying that I do and figured it would be a great resource for looking in to finding a new local club to join. Well 45 or so days have passed since they gladly took my money and it seems that I am only added to some e-mail list. No card, no AMA number, no nothing but e-mails. Am I wrong for expecting a membership card and some basic welcome / this is our organization info?
I'd say welcome to the new and improved AMA, but that would suggest I too am a member. Happily I told the AMA to pound sand some 25 years ago.

Yes, you should receive a membership card and a number along with that rag Pravda. After 45 days I think a phone call to their membership people would be in order. May as well do it and get it over with. This IS the new norm for the AMA.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:11 PM
Heath
Hi sighlous,

Yes, you should receive a membership card and welcome packet in the mail. Call them and check that they have the correct mailing address. Also possible that the post office lost or delivered your mail to the wrong address.

Q. - How long does it take to receive my membership card?
A. - You should allow at least three weeks from the date we receive your application. This is especially true during our membership renewal season which runs from September 15 through December 31. During the non-renewal season, you may receive your membership card sooner.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...rship/faq.aspx

AMA membership help line: 1-800-435-9262

Find AMA clubs near you:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx