Best 3mt Topmodel CZ glider? - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2017, 02:50 PM
Chch, NZ
Discussion

Best 3mt Topmodel CZ glider?

A quick bit of background: I bought a second hand 2.9mt mystique that had been crashed, fixed it up and fitted all the gear, only to have a wing fold mid flight which pretty much wrote it off. Very gutting.

Lately I've been looking at the Topmodel range of electric gliders that i could transplant my gear into but thought i should tap the knowledge pool here to get an idea of which ones are outstanding, or maybe more importantly, which ones to stay away from.

So what I'm looking for is a full house floater around 3mt with a price point of around 300-350. I've bounced an email off them to check shipping and its not too bad off I go the slow boat.

So which ones should I put on my short list?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 03:00 PM
Topmodel CZ Elite. Fully built up wings and is stunningly pretty and is their best all-round sailplane.

If you want a 'floater' go for the Marabu. It's very light and is a really efficient thermal sailplane. It's much lighter than the Grafas or Gracia. Not quite 3mtrs but really nice, and not expensive either.

All the best in your search.
Nov 07, 2017, 02:10 AM
Grafas and Gracia are proven ships though, that flown 200 km roundtrip for 6 hours, establishung some FPV records in the recent past.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:57 AM
I have owned and flown several Topmodel electric sailplanes. IMO...they all fly nicely and the wing loading is nearly the same for each one. The Grafas or Gracia are the most popular thermal ships in the size you are looking for. The real world difference is V-tail or flying stab. I havent seen or flown the new Marabu but looking at the numbers CZ publishes, I would expect similar performance to the two above.
Nov 07, 2017, 04:03 PM
Sailplane Mafia
The Marabu looks like a larger Prelude. Same MH32 airfoil and fuse design. That appears to be a good deal for the price Top Model is asking. What motor was in your Mystique? The stock motor might not fit in the Marabu. I would look at a GliderDrive from HobbyKing.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:46 AM
Chch, NZ
Thanks for the feedback guys.
After looking through that shortlist I will probably pick the Elite, if only due to it being the only one with a full balsa D box.
While I really like the lines of some of the others (all of them really) I can't help wondering how well the open structure would stand up while I learn the in's and out's of a big unit like this...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of video out there of the Elite in action so if anyone has anything tucked away or know where I can look I'd appreciate it...

From memory I put a Gliderdrive 960kv in the Mystique, I'll check...
Nov 16, 2017, 12:19 PM
The Elite is stunning and is probably one of the best all-round gliders out there. I am putting the finishing touches to another Topmodel CZ glider, the Linea, which has a similar wing structure to the Elite but it's a T-Tail and only 2.5mtr span.

Let us know how you get on and do a build log if you have time. I'm sure people will find it interesting, me included.
Nov 16, 2017, 07:57 PM
Chch, NZ
Will do...

Just waiting to hear if I have a contract working away from home again, they are dragging their feet so I have a gut feeling it's going to fall through. If I do get it I'll be away for 9 weeks from beginning of December, on the plus side, that's plenty of time to arrange slow boat shipping...