Masterkote Question - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2017, 11:17 AM
Discussion

Masterkote Question

Hi ,

I got a few rolls of this in a good deal a while back. Can't find any info on it as I guess it's an out of use product. I am about to cover my Top Flight Freshman build. I have covered the tail surfaces which are solid and I am wondering if this stuff is too light for the wings? There is no weight per oz specs I can find.

The wing is 48" and AUW should be about 3.5 pounds tops.

The fuselage is solid also so not too worried about using it on that.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks for the advice!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 05:10 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Did a quick search, found an RCG advert --

Masterkote (The same material as SolarFilm, the UK company that manufactures Solartex) is an iron-on self-adhesive polypropylene film. Masterkote is the easiest to use of all iron-on films. It is the lightest and quickest method for getting a high gloss finish on a model airplane. It has very good shrinkage, so it tightens easily and stretches around compound curves.

Hope that helps.

P.S. There is no such thing a 'too light' , only a structure that is built too flimsy
Last edited by eflightray; Nov 07, 2017 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Addition
Nov 07, 2017, 03:45 PM
Thanks! That is true. I was thinking that the weight and wing loading of the kit would require a heavier film like monokote or super monokote.
Since the fuse and tail are solid wood I was not worried about that but the wing is built up.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:48 AM
Solarfilm works fine on built up wings of that size, plenty strong enough.

Pete
Nov 09, 2017, 06:37 PM
I love Solarfilm....BUT....it is not for diesel or glow.
Nov 10, 2017, 04:28 AM
Solarfilm is fine with glow fuel. It's all I used for years while I still followed the dark side. Doesn't like diesel though.

Pete
Nov 10, 2017, 07:06 AM
Sorry I meant gas or diesel.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks All! Peter you just reminded me I have a Lublin short kit of yours. Might be a good next project !

Josh
Nov 12, 2017, 09:33 AM
Big gov never Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgold15
Thanks! That is true. I was thinking that the weight and wing loading of the kit would require a heavier film like monokote or super monokote.
It's all Super Mono-Kote, since about 1972. Prevously, Mono-Kote was an sticky adhesive backed film that had a backing sheet also. But, was very light. So light, that your freshman would need to be covered in silk span before the application of the Mono-Kote. This was in the instructions. It was created to avoid the multiple coats of dope needed in the day. I used it on a few free flight jobs with no under covering of silk span. WS's in the 20" size. Thats how light it was.

In 1970, Span Aero( built full size clipped wing J-3 Cubs, and later marketed a 1/4scale clipped wing Cub with aluminum outlines/ fuselage) recieved an approval, from FAA to use Mono-Kote over the fabric as a finish. TF Mono-Kote ads reflected this as an endorsement for the integrity of the product. I wish they still made the original Mono-Kote, as it would be great for electric. It just liked to stick to itself. But would be one of the lightest films out there.

Fuzz
Nov 12, 2017, 12:18 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Like someone else said in another thread "plastic paint"!

Tony
Nov 12, 2017, 02:35 PM
Big gov never Works
Quite accurate, Tony. The original mono-Kote ads promised reduce finish times. You still had to partially seal the silkspan with dope and rub down with 000 steel wool. I did build a Berkeley J-3 72"WS, (the original SIG J-3) for control line and a Enya .19RC, using the mono-kote over silk span. Very light.

Fuzz