PT-17 ARFs .60 Size +/- - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 06, 2017, 07:57 AM
Learning to crash
Discussion

PT-17 ARFs .60 Size +/-

Been wanting to try a fuel plane after several years of electrics. After watching tons of videos I think my smartest option woukd be a slow'ish flying balsa ARF PT-17 to start out with. Admittedly I do use a gyro reciever with self leveling mode in a lot of my foamy electrics, although I can fly without it enabled. It is a nice option for those "o shoot" moments. Are there any ARFs available without spending 600 bucks on an ARF that I may wind up returning to splinter form? Looked on Tower Hobbies and they do have the PT-19 coming out soon, but really think the light wing loading of a bipe would help in the slow flight and just being able to putt around the sky will help me.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
Been wanting to try a fuel plane after several years of electrics. After watching tons of videos I think my smartest option woukd be a slow'ish flying balsa ARF PT-17 to start out with. Admittedly I do use a gyro reciever with self leveling mode in a lot of my foamy electrics, although I can fly without it enabled. It is a nice option for those "o shoot" moments. Are there any ARFs available without spending 600 bucks on an ARF that I may wind up returning to splinter form? Looked on Tower Hobbies and they do have the PT-19 coming out soon, but really think the light wing loading of a bipe would help in the slow flight and just being able to putt around the sky will help me.

Thanks
Buy a high wing trainer off Craigslist for your first balsa/fuel plane. It will hurt much less when you crash a 150 buck used plane than a new $600 ARF. The speed will take a few rough landings/crashes to get used to. Then go buy a new ARF if you want to.
Nov 14, 2017, 01:57 PM
If you want a slow flying ARF I would look at either a Sig Senior or better yet a Sig LT-40. The LT-40 will be better for rough landings since it is not built from a bunch of little sticks like the Senior is. But the Senior is a such a stable, slow flying model you may never bang it hard if you already have some flying experience. Plus there are other even cheaper ARFs that will work almost as well. Like the Tower Hobbies trainer that they run on sale ever so often. I bought one for $80 with free shipping. I am way past needing a trainer, I just like to fly slow stable planes I don't have to constantly fly. I do have faster aerobatic planes I fly but I like to just sit in my chair and watch a plane cruise around the sky at half throttle.

If you want a 60 size plane look at the Hobbico Hobbistar ARF. There is one at the field I fly at and its an excellent first model. You don't need an expensive engine for it either. I bought an FP-60 from a member here for $50 shipped. I see these for around the same price on Ebay all the time.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCSY9&P=ML

I would also recommend buying a kit and build your own plane. Building to me is as much fun as flying. I have a kit set out right now I am thinking about building.

I would not recommend a Biplane for a first engine powered model. At least not one that big.
Last edited by burlesontom; Nov 14, 2017 at 02:05 PM.