the Future of the Vintage Forum theme build? - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2017, 02:15 AM
B for Bruce
Discussion

the Future of the Vintage Forum theme build?

First off I'd like to start by thanking Sundancer for being the host with the most for the past 6(?) years of theme and CAP builds. I think we'll all agree that it's added a great sense of camaraderie to the forum and made it a lot more fun what with lots of great projects to keep up on. And even a bit of personal encouragement to get off our backsides and BUILD something.

Given that no one seems to be stepping up to fill in his shoes I'd like to toss my own feet into the ring if you'll have me. The format will continue to be the same with two builds per year along with the inevitable annual and ongoing Complete A Project threads and master threads. I've PM back and forth to George to get tips on how me managed to deal with it all and it doesn't seem that onerous.

Now if one or two of you would like to form a bit of a team on this that's all great too. I'd welcome the help. Not that it's a huge amount of work. Mostly just needs to be checked every couple of days to make sure the master thread is maintained fairly well up to date.

So with that in mind I'm thinking that the first build of 2018 should start on Jan 1 at 0001 hrs. And it'll run for the normal 6 months. Or do you need 7 months like the last one? 6 months would put the ending on June 30.

So now we just need a theme.... .

We've done two Baker's Dozen designers builds in a row now. So I'm thinking give that a rest and bring it back later on.

So a trio of options I'm considering and want to toss out for you all are:
  1. Vintage Control line models. Built either as control line or adapted to RC.
  2. Vintage Gliders. Again either free flight or adapted to RC. Power options can be added as long as the "glider theme" is maintained.
  3. Vintage rubber models. Either as rubber free flights or adapted to RC and electric power. Or dare I suggest that someone try rubber powered RC?
Added from suggestions so far are also;
  1. Amazing Oddball designs. For really odd fuselage shapes, canards, saucers, Martian Space Ship and other true oddities that walk a different Model DNA path.
  2. Plyon models from the vintage (old timer), Nostalgia and early Classic Power eras (prior to 1965)

As per usual designs can be scaled to suit your needs. And power sources are optional. The glider theme jumped out at me after watching dgliderguy's build of the KK Cadet. I think there's a lot of fun to be had from something of that sort.

If any of you have any other ideas let's hear them. We'll run this until the middle of the month and then post a poll for a week or 10 days. That'll set the first build for 2018 and give you all a month to deal with the holidays, eat too much and look over your plans stash.

Howzatt Zound?
Last edited by BMatthews; Nov 07, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 03:15 AM
That sounds fantastic, and thanks for volunteering! All three ideas are good, but I suspect the one that most guys will go for will be will be rubber conversions?

It's gonna be fun
Al
Nov 06, 2017, 03:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Great to have someone to continue the build offs Bruce. My personal vote would be for the rubber models. I have done a lot f these as electric R/C conversions, both original and scaled up and every one has been extremely satisfactory. The airframes are really traditional builds and also economic in terms of materials, and the option to build them as originally powered would be attractive.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:08 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Bruce-I would have time most days to check the thread as I get to the shop an hour early to spend some time in the form.The rubber power sounds like a good start,I've had my eye on a few.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:08 AM
I have eyed up several rubber powered enlargements for my next project, so I will join in if this option is voted for.
Nov 06, 2017, 09:46 AM
There are some spectacularly beautiful control racers for from the 50's that have always tempted me...

Al
Nov 06, 2017, 11:00 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Despite already having too many models i can't fly at present this is one I have been threatening to build for the last 63 years so I might be tempted!
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=851
Nov 06, 2017, 11:38 AM
B for Bruce
I see that the rubber model conversion has sparked an early lead in interest. Al, don't lose heart though. If not this time around I can see a control line inspired build hitting the nail on the head at some point. As you say there are so many great looking models that would be fun to make and do some control line flying or to adapt to RC. An RC'ed Yates Madman anyone?

My own favorite for such a build is Keith Laumer's Flea-Whiz done up as an RC scaled up project. I actually started to build one as my first ever control line model. But part way through I realized what a lot of work it would be on a model that would be likely to get crashed a LOT of times. Over the years the partially built fuselage got dinged and bounced around until it was too damaged. But I never lost my appreciation for that cute looking thing.

Plus if I have my way about it Keith's name WILL be in a future TBD build for sure. Too many great looking designs from that brilliant fellow!

But then I'm also in the converted rubber camp too....
Nov 06, 2017, 12:14 PM
No worries- still got the current project to finish, and then a friend wants to build a really ugly plane. So we gonna build a pair of "Railcars". It's all about having fun after all....
Nov 06, 2017, 01:05 PM
B for Bruce
Now THERE is a theme for a build at some point. "Models so ugly that only their builder can stand them"..... I could put together a list of designers that would qualify. And while I know he has a strong following of admirers first on my list would be Ray Malmstrom. His models always look so.... Well, trying to be kind the best I can come up with is "odd". Sort of goes along with his plans drawing method I suppose.....
Nov 06, 2017, 08:18 PM
B for Bruce
Come on folks! ! ! ! 271 views and this is all the response?

I'm looking for direction from YOU out there in "silence land". This is for YOU. It does not matter if you have have not actually taken part in a past build or not. If you care enough to at least read it then I feel that you have at least considered the idea of taking part in a build at some point. So by all means please let me know what you think. It doesn't matter if it is for this build or some idea for a FUTURE build. If you think it is a good idea then likely someone else is thinking the same as YOU. So SPEAK UP! At this point it is all good stuff!

My only intent here is to be the enabler for the community. So let's hear what you think! ! ! ! !
Nov 06, 2017, 10:18 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Bruce -

Thanks for stepping up to run more build offs..... I'm interested in all three categories you suggest

Best regards,

jeff
Nov 06, 2017, 11:42 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac
Bruce -

Thanks for stepping up to run more build offs..... I'm interested in all three categories you suggest

Best regards,

jeff
Thanks Jeff. From where I'm sitting there's no real losers in that trio.... .of course I'd think that wouldn't I.....

Since this seems like I'm in it for at least the first build of 2018 I'm going to post a poll in the next day or so based on what I see here. The options will be whatever shows up in this thread to go along with my three initial options.

Hey, just to cover off all the bases I'll throw in another TBD option. It seemed pretty popular up to now. It'll be a different 13 than the two previous builds. And just to show I'm fair about it all both Keith Laumer and Ray Malmstrom will be among the options.... Never let it be said that I'm self serving.....
Nov 07, 2017, 12:19 AM
Thanks for taking over the reins Bruce! These build offs are what motivated me to start building again and I would be a starter for another in the new year. Gliders or rubber (EP conversion) are definitely of interest and while, as a boy, my eyes used to pop over those beautiful CL team racers late 50's and early 60's I don't think building/flying one is a practical proposition for me now [sigh].

A theme on contest power designs would also appeal

Bob
Nov 07, 2017, 03:08 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtP
....A theme on contest power designs would also appeal

Bob
That's an interesting one too. Care to expand on what you have in mind a bit more?