Which Rustoleum Paint - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 09:48 PM
Discussion

Which Rustoleum Paint

Hey all,

I've been looking around at different paints to use and being in Australia and seeing a lot of responses from people in the US saying to use or try Rustoleum paint.

We can get Rustoleum paint here but I was curious to know which paint it is people use. Over here we can get stuff in a pressure pack but there is also the stuff in cans. Where I live the pressure pack stuff is easier to obtain so is it basically the same stuff as you guys use.

Also is the Rustoleum clear ok to use over the top. The plane I'm planning on painting it with is a gasser. Judging by the tech data sheets the pressure pack stuff is an enamel.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 04:28 AM
Anyone
Nov 07, 2017, 08:25 AM
ʇsol
This post claims any color except metallics and clear. Tom Crump swears by rustoleum and polyurethane clear - you can browse his rustoleum mentions on the forum by clicking here.
Latest blog entry: RC Flying-site aerials
Nov 07, 2017, 09:18 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
This post claims any color except metallics and clear. Tom Crump swears by rustoleum and polyurethane clear - you can browse his rustoleum mentions on the forum by clicking here.
Ya, I do have an affinity for Rustoleum.

For my purposes, it's easy to use and provides the finish that I am looking for.

As you say, I use a polyurethane clear, from Minwax, if I decide to clear coat. It has worked well for me, and adds another layer of fuel resistance to my models.

I've sprayed Rustoleum with my HVLP gun, but I also have had good results when using aerosol cans.
Nov 07, 2017, 09:43 AM
Read the can.
Pay attention to the directions on the can about recoating times.
If you try laying on another coat after that times period.....it will wrinkle up that bottom layer like a old lady's skin.
Now that you guys down under are coming into your summer heat....cut that recoat time in half.
I speak from experience!
Nov 07, 2017, 11:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409
Read the can.
Pay attention to the directions on the can about recoating times.
If you try laying on another coat after that times period.....it will wrinkle up that bottom layer like a old lady's skin.
Now that you guys down under are coming into your summer heat....cut that recoat time in half.
I speak from experience!
After spraying several coats according to the can's instructions, I wait at least a week to re-coat, or spray the clear coat.

It may be safe to re-coat sooner, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. During that week, the model spends as much time as possible, in the sun. The UV does wonders for setting the paint up.

It's too much work to fix, if things get rushed and go wrong.
Nov 07, 2017, 04:53 PM
Thanks for getting back to me folks. I've attached a pic of one of the flaps from my plane (It's a Super Cub). I'm pretty happy with how the Rustoleum has come out. The main reason for wanting to clear coat is because the colours I needed only came in a Satin nbut I need a gloss finish. A Gloss clear will sort that out for the finish I need to replicate.

Also here is the stuff I've used which from what I can gather is pretty much the same as their other paints just in a spray can. https://www.rustoleum.com.au/product...ultra-cover-2x

I was considering just using their Gloss clear as well to keep it all in the "family" so to speak. What do you think or should I try your method Tom. Speaking of which are you able to post a pic of the Minwax product you use Tom or perhaps a link to their website.

As to drying time the colour was sprayed on Saturday and it is now Wednesday here. I need to put a second coat on the wings because there's a couple of light patches. Do you think it would be ok to do by now. Given that it's averaging around 70F here at the moment and my shed is usually a little warmer.
Nov 07, 2017, 04:53 PM
Oh one more thing. Do you guys give a light sand between coats of paint?
Nov 08, 2017, 07:11 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y
Thanks for getting back to me folks. I've attached a pic of one of the flaps from my plane (It's a Super Cub). I'm pretty happy with how the Rustoleum has come out. The main reason for wanting to clear coat is because the colours I needed only came in a Satin nbut I need a gloss finish. A Gloss clear will sort that out for the finish I need to replicate.

Also here is the stuff I've used which from what I can gather is pretty much the same as their other paints just in a spray can. https://www.rustoleum.com.au/product...ultra-cover-2x

I was considering just using their Gloss clear as well to keep it all in the "family" so to speak. What do you think or should I try your method Tom. Speaking of which are you able to post a pic of the Minwax product you use Tom or perhaps a link to their website.

As to drying time the colour was sprayed on Saturday and it is now Wednesday here. I need to put a second coat on the wings because there's a couple of light patches. Do you think it would be ok to do by now. Given that it's averaging around 70F here at the moment and my shed is usually a little warmer.
Unfortunately, I can't be of much help. You are using a different product than me. I have no experience with it.