Dec 15, 2004, 05:13 PM
Lithium Member
Top ailerons are not movable, just a stroke of pencil ... It's called the KISS principle .

I set rates on ailerons at 125% and it rolls just fine. I suppose you can make the top ailerons movable either with (somewhat ugly) connector rods or those tiny servos 4g in the upper wing.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2004, 05:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
... I set rates on ailerons at 125% and it rolls just fine.
Can you equate that to either angular deflection or travel distance of the trailing edge relative to neutral position? The 125% rates doen't give me much to go on
Dec 26, 2004, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
The plane is all done. Too cold and gusty here in Pittsburgh to maiden yet. Took her out tothe driveway to make sure she tracks straight on taxi- had to adjust the rear wheel wire a bit. I think this is critical given that the tail wheel is attached to the rudder. and any correction in steering on takeoff results in the rudder being deflected also- can make for a hairy liftoff IMHO.
My wife gave me a new Apogee 2400 mah battery for Christmas that fits perfectly in the battery bay. Also fits in my new GWS corsair and estarter.
Will post a couple of pictures when I get home. And with my new Panasonic digital video camera, I hope to post a video of the maiden also.
Dec 27, 2004, 08:37 AM
sounds like you had a damn good xmas.
Dec 27, 2004, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Brutus-
I did. I am very blessed.
Dec 28, 2004, 12:30 PM
Thread OP

Pictures

Here are some final pictures of the build.
Below is the completed plane.
Dec 28, 2004, 12:34 PM
Thread OP

Battery

Some pictures of the new Apogee battery and it's installation.
Dec 29, 2004, 03:37 AM
I'm building my tiger moth 400. The field I fly in is uncut grass so I always hand launch. I'm a little worried about mounting the landing gear wheel on the tail. My instinct is it will rip off the rudder. Also, I'm not sure about the front landing gear either.

What's the best setup for landing in the grass?
Dec 29, 2004, 07:14 AM
Just remembered from a past experience. Caution on handing the upper wing before mounting in upper support struts. I was not careful while applying a paint on rub off finish and cracked the wing at its weakest point. If you look closely, you will see where that point runs through the upper strut mounting slot. It was easily repairable, but only after the 10 minute long shock subsides.
Dec 29, 2004, 04:18 PM
Lithium Member
Both Mark (Gund) and I had the upper wing break cleanly at the weakest point, where the slit is located for the center cabane strut to slide in. Mine broke during a rather sedate roll ... We both landed ours fine, flying only on the bottom wing .

Using epoxy there - and some further slight reinforcment - might help avoid unpleasant surprises ...

We both have four lightweight aluminum tubing struts instead of that floppy brown plastic stuff (Mark's original suggestion).
Dec 29, 2004, 06:11 PM
Started flying in 1992...
I fly all my GWS models from grass using the standard undercarriage, but with slightly larger foam wheels, never had an instance of the rudder snapping, bear in mind that the rear wheel is actually supported by the small plastic bit that you epoxy to the very back underside of the fuselage.

Just finishing my Tiger 400 tonight hopefully, ready for maiden tomorrow! Always best to maiden via a rolling take off, its more forgiving should you trims be a little out!

Planning to run on a 2s 2600mah pack, also and probably more frequently, I'll be using the 3s 1700 mah E-Tec pack.

VERY excited!!!

On another note, where the struts from the fuselage fit into the top wing, has anyone else glued this, or devised some method of securing it a little? seems like a bad design to me!
Dec 30, 2004, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Winds are calm here in Pittsburgh. Hope to maiden in about an hour.
Dec 30, 2004, 03:25 PM
Thread OP

She Flys

Finished a near perfect maiden today. The winds were fairly calm at the start. I was using my Apogee 2480mah battery and a 9060 prop. The rest of the plane is stock. ROG was good- about 10-15 feet and she was airborne. This plane flies like a dream. A little aileron and she starts to turn- keep the nose up though. Nothing fancy today just getting used to how she responds. Unlike the estarter, you have to apply opposite aileron to bring her out of a turn. I found this plane to fly much easier than the estarter.
The only problem came with landing- I cut the power down, headed her into the now stronger wind and at about 4 feet off the runway the wind flipped her over and into the ground. The fuselage broke right at the center wing strut attachment point. Pictures to follow tonight when i get off work.
BUT, a little epoxy and she should be good as new.

Now that I have this plane maidened, I do not feel so bad about starting my C-47. Or maybe the Corsair....................hmmmmmmmm.
Dec 30, 2004, 03:52 PM
Started flying in 1992...
Anyone any response to my question, whether or not you should glue the two struts into the center of the wing, or find a way of securing it but being able to remove it again? Last thing I need to do!!
Dec 30, 2004, 04:02 PM
Thread OP

Glue them

The only way to secure them is to glue them. It makes for ackward storage of the plane but there is no other way.

Quick Reply