Turnigy 85* 180 Electric retracts - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 05, 2017, 02:50 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Help!

Turnigy 85* 180 Electric retracts

So I will admit that I am not a fan of Electric retracts at all. Air has always worked for me and I never had a problem. However with all the hype about electrics and so many people wanting the easiest possible way... It is nearly impossible to find decent air gear now without paying thru the nose!

So anyways here I am now stuck with electric gear... and you guessed it!! they...dont.... work!!!!
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-size-1pc.html

The gear themselves are actually very robust and seem to be well made and put together. As good as the gear I use in my turbine jets. However! One of the retracts tends to overextend itself, so much so that it gets locked in at either end of the run(up/down). Its so jammed in that it thinks it meating resistance and then stops trying move. When compared to the one good gear that does work... the bad gear tends to run for about 1-2 seconds longer. At this point I have to disassemble the entire retract just free up the pin enough that it will cycle again... and then 3 cycles later its jammed again in either the up of down position. AHHHH! Never had these issues with air.

If any of you techy guys out there can help me fix this , that would be great. I did send an email off to HK to let them know the situation and will see what they say.
Last edited by vettster; Nov 05, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 01:36 PM
Ldm
Ldm
1) look up Aussie Hoppy
2) we did a mod, the boards on most retracts are bad , he has the explanation on how to fix , then you simply buy an actuator that is outside the retracts to control the retracts .
Aussie is in the P51 warbird thread , I would imagine you have a bad board.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:32 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thanks Ldm.. The good news is I reported this to HK yesterday morning and by evening I had a reply with instruction on how to make a claim with HK(send video and pictures) witch I did. This morning they said they have shipped me a new retract at no charge for the gear or shipping. Wow! Im very impressed with how quickly they handled that.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:17 AM
Ldm
Ldm
They will get much better on customer service because they will start to handle issues in NY vs the Philippines.
I would still tell you look at an “outside board” .
Most -eboards have play in them and will get play over time , that is why Robart started with an outside controller from day one but Robart has other QC related issues that are not fixable lol .
Most of the these cheaper retracts will work problem free but you have to use an outside emboard controller.
Most of us that play in the 1700 mm EPO Foam warbirds have learned all of this from the 1700mm retracts for both the P51 and the Corsair.
The Corsair retracts worked so well that many flying the 12 to 14lb Top Flight P40, Corsairs ect have switched to. $80 FMS retracts vs $250 to $350 Robart /Sierra gear.
However all of us have made the board mods .
Nov 07, 2017, 08:14 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thanks again! I will certainly look into it. But Im just so busy at work now it will have to be a bit later. Can you please provide a link.

Cheers