DLE 55 Idle drops after rev... - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 02:36 PM
Discussion

DLE 55 Idle drops after rev...

Hey guys,

Have a DLE 55 with about 4 gallons total through. Recently replaced the carburetor to brand new walbro. Runs like a champ, transitions perfectly, idles great. Needles are just over 1.5 turns out on the high, ~1.25 on the low. Only thing is if I let it idle for a long period of time (ie long final) then "rev" the throttle real quick, when it returns to idle the rpms goLOWER than it typically will idle at... occasionally even causing it to die. Aside from this problem after revving after a long idle period, the engine runs great and idle is stable. Is this just because it is not fully broken in yet?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 03:23 PM
The DLE with 4 gallons through it is fully broken in. Carbs do not need break in, since they have almost no moving parts and their operating temperature is low.
I think you need to continue adjusting the L needle, until the problem is solved. Maybe you are aiming for too slow an idle.
Nov 05, 2017, 06:15 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Sounds like your HS might be a tick rich.
Kurt
Nov 05, 2017, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your reply. The idle is set right around 1500. When i blip the throttle after a period of idle, however, it will go down to 7-800 for a few seconds, occasionally dying. Sounds like LS might be a bit rich to me, but much more lean and it will hesitate
Nov 06, 2017, 06:29 AM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
If your transition is good, it's not your LS.
Kurt
Nov 07, 2017, 09:11 AM
Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb_16
Thanks for your reply. The idle is set right around 1500. When i blip the throttle after a period of idle, however, it will go down to 7-800 for a few seconds, occasionally dying. Sounds like LS might be a bit rich to me, but much more lean and it will hesitate
Sounds like high end is to lean. So I have been told in the past when this happens.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:42 PM
AMA 46133
LOL sorry guys I don't mean to laugh at anyone in particular so please don't take offense. I just saw there are five posts to answer the OP in this thread and we already have two completely opposite opinion on what may be the issue. One post said the high speed is a bit rich and another post said it is a bit lean.

If I am the OP I will be thoroughly confused by now.

Ok maybe this is not the answer or even an attempt to find a solution. Let just think logically why the engine will behave this way. What does a prolong idle do? The only thing that I can deduce from the OP's description is that after a prolong idle the RPM drops. So that meant the cylinder temperature or the surrounding temperature has dropped from when the engine was running at higher RPM.

If the engine is cowled the entire interior of the cowl may be cooler. If the engine is not cowled the cylinder head temperature is definitely cooler.

If the engine is cowled it may be a simple mechanical issue. Maybe it has something to do with the throttle pushrod. If the throttle pushrod is sensitive to the temperature it may have contracted enough to lower the idle some more.

If it is not a mechanical issue then it may be an fuel air mixture issue. What happens when the cylinder head cool? I don't know. The only way to find out is to do some test. Richen the idle needle and do a test flight. If that didn't work try leaning the idle needle a tad and do a test flight.

I have also experience the same thing and I never really worried about it too much. If I am concern about the engine flaming out I just move my throttle trim level two clicks up and fly with a slightly higher idle RPM.