DIY Hovercraft Help? - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 01:54 PM
Help!

DIY Hovercraft Help?

Hey y'all,
I'm making my first hovercraft for a project, and I can only use brushed motors (sucks, I know).
So far for my materials I have my base (insulating foam) and battery (8.4V NiMh 5000Amh).
For my motors, I was thinking about getting EDFs. I couldn't really find a EDF with a brushed motor. Do you guys know of any?
And do you suggest using EDFs for both lift and thrust? I'm building mine to carry some load around, just for an idea.

Thanks!
Last edited by arkhazard; Nov 05, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 03:05 PM
Rapidly aging user
Hi guy....need to know what size craft your building to help advise.
I wouldn't use edf's for either, especially the lift. Use a motor & slo-fly prop.
My 30" (below) had brushed motors initially and worked OK w/ 7' thrust & 6" lift props, now it's a rocket w/ brushless & lipos. The weight of the NiMh batt is a killer . For what an EDF costs you could almost get a brushless motor & ESC combo pkg. If you don't already have the NiMh, a Lipo of 2000 - 3000mah will work depending on your craft size.

Good luck & have fun....
Nov 05, 2017, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I already have the NiMh
For the size, I'm keeping it smaller. around 10 by 15 inches.
For your craft, what brushed motors did you use? I would totally use brushless but I am limited for this project. And do you have any suggestions for the props as well?
Again, I'm building it to hold weight more than to go fast.
Thanks so much!
Nov 06, 2017, 12:07 PM
Rapidly aging user
I don't know how much weight you're looking to haul but that seems pretty small. Hovercraft get more efficient as they get bigger. IE:a craft w/ X sq in hull (lift) area won't weigh twice as much as one w/ 1/2X sq in area...so....for a given lift pressure it will lift more than twice as much as the smaller craft.
I think I was using 400 size lift motors & 450 size thrust.
Like anything here, read as many relevant threads as you can & also use the Tools>Show thread attachments function to scan photos.
Ralph
Nov 07, 2017, 11:02 PM
Thank you so much! I ordered some similar motors, and I'm excited to start this up!
Thank you again!