Anyone using folding multicopter props? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 05, 2017, 01:00 PM
Discussion

Anyone using folding multicopter props?

I wonder if anyone have using folding multicopter props ,for exampel on a quadplane?
Last edited by sjak; Nov 05, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 11:52 AM
Not me, but as far as I know they work just fine.
Nov 07, 2017, 01:18 PM
Do you know if it makes any difference regarding flight time/power consumption in plane mode?
Nov 07, 2017, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak
Do you know if it makes any difference regarding flight time/power consumption in plane mode?
As far as I know it does not. I would say it is mostly a convenience for transport. There are some slight benefits in terms of balance and some slight disadvantages in terms of complexity (more pieces to break or get lost). I am not sure how you would balance the blades short of pinching the hubs. The more complex techniques used for helicopter blades are probably not necessary until or unless you get into very large rotors. Flight controllers are getting very good at rejecting vibration effects, but video cameras can still have "jello" if there are vibration issues. That being said, many of the camera platform type drones have folding props so it seems to not be an issue. i guess you could still do various dynamic balancing techniques if you had to, but that is more hassle than most people bother with or even need to bother with.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:49 AM
Ok.When I look around I find the Deltaquad (it has no folding props),and they get 2 hours flight time,and they seems to have spent a lot of time on
testing it. So it seems not affect flight time worth bother it.Thank you anyway for reply
Nov 11, 2017, 10:15 PM
Soap Box Junkie
As getting matching "powered glider" style CW and CCW folding props is next to impossible, I am going to manufacture my own. The idea being you can shut some or all the motors down and create less drag and use less power when in FF mode, as it has been done by others before.
Nov 19, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admodesi
As getting matching "powered glider" style CW and CCW folding props is next to impossible, I am going to manufacture my own. The idea being you can shut some or all the motors down and create less drag and use less power when in FF mode, as it has been done by others before.
I mean folding multicopter props (I thought not to tilt motors ) they can be found as CW and CCW
Nov 19, 2017, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak
I mean folding multicopter props (I thought not to tilt motors ) they can be found as CW and CCW
You didn't say, but I assumed you wanted the blades to fold back in the airstream to reduce drag when in forward flight. Depending on where the motor stops, they might not fold in a way that is helpful. Regular fixed blade props can be relatively low drag if they stop in line with the airflow. That can be done in various ways including magnets on the motor housing.
Today, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
You didn't say, but I assumed you wanted the blades to fold back in the airstream to reduce drag when in forward flight. Depending on where the motor stops, they might not fold in a way that is helpful. Regular fixed blade props can be relatively low drag if they stop in line with the airflow. That can be done in various ways including magnets on the motor housing.
Sorry for not explain.And yes I also think it could be a issue that the blade might not fold depending how the the motors stop.
I just was curious ,if anyone had some experience regarding using folding multicopter props on the lift motors.