what is a carbon boom glider called? - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 12:56 PM
Discussion

what is a carbon boom glider called?

please excuse such a basic question as this. but I'm intrigued with these. They look to be a bit simpler to build. and the boom seems every bit as strong enough. and even the smallest, seems big enough to allow control wires to pass thru and minimize the air flow disturbance going over the tail feathers. I used to call 'em "ugly sticks" but after doing some reading here, it seems that term is being used for a different airplane model/construction..thanking all in advance
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 01:24 PM
I just call them “pod and boom”gliders.
Nov 05, 2017, 04:00 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Scratch built fuselage using a section from a cheap fishing rod for the 'boom', (not carbon), and a balsa 'pod'.

Ray.
Nov 05, 2017, 07:54 PM
B for Bruce
They are "pod and boom". But these days we have all that high tech stuff to use.

I laughed at your idea that the style is "ugly sticks"... I feel like you but I call such models "broom handles with wings"....

Is the minimal cross section models that use this method efficient? Of course. And I suppose "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" But for MY eyes I prefer more of a shape to my models.