F3 flight controller as SBus decoder? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 05, 2017, 12:36 PM
Discussion

F3 flight controller as SBus decoder?

Hi there,

I can find three kinds of SBus-to-PWM decoders out there: Futaba ones with 3 channels that cost a fortune, FrSky ones with 4 channels that cost a fraction but still too much relative to most servos I use on planes up to about 1.5kg AUW, and DIY ones from China that give 16 channels for the price of the FrSky one.

What I'm after, however, is a 3-4 channel type that costs a quarter of the DIY ones and is a quarter of its size. I came across a bunch of F3-based flight controllers (for multirotors) that you can get for $6-7 each from China. Now these usually have at least 4 PWM outputs and take their input from SBus or CPPM. I guess you could set up their controller such that they simply pass selected channels from SBus to the PWM output pins, which is just the SBus-to-PWM converter I'm after: cheap and very small, yet including the microUSB connector for programming, so no channel changer required.

Has anyone tried this approach? Are you happy with it? What are the pitfalls?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 06:15 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Im sure you can now remap resources inside Betaflight to control most things so 4-8 motors can become 2 motors and 6servos or anything inbetween.

Atm i am repurposing cheap brushed f3 controllers to control 2 brushed motors and 3 servos or 1 brushless motor and 3 servos , so far everything works fine and i can use any input method from a standard receiver with pins to a no pin 8ch ibus receiver the size of a postage stamp.

The upside with the brushed motors is that i get a Flight controller which can run 2 motors directly for differential thrust and 3 or 4 servos all from one small board or i can run brushless just by adding an esc.