going to have a go at gliding - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 08:17 AM
Discussion

going to have a go at gliding

i have lots of hills around me so looking at something with a electric motor 2 M or 3M wing span and a flying wing for sume aerobatics. i have look at sume carbon fuselages but out of my price range so i am going to have a go at printing them i started with a flying wing and printed it with ABS not so good as most of my landings the front nose keep breaking of all though it is easy to glue back on now i have found PLA that stuff is indestructible but a payne to glue together but now i have found a solvent that works.

so this is what i have so far a flying wing printed fuz and 1.600mm foam wing but need to fined a foam that will stand up to the knocks and not add to much wight and a bod and boom fuz thinking of a v tail
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 09:08 AM
Very nice work...will you publish the stl files?

Here in the USA we use 21 kg/m^3 EPP foam for hot-wire cut wings. It is reasonably light and very, very tough.
Nov 05, 2017, 09:55 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Nicely done!
Nov 06, 2017, 01:37 PM
Waiting for more Info
Nov 07, 2017, 08:07 AM
sorry it took so long i made a joke about linux and my win computer has started to play up but it is all sorted now.
in zip is plan and stl fuz 1/2/3/4 canopy 1/ 2 there is also a HATCH LACHbar.stl that is the bar for the spring loaded latch i printed them in
PLA 0.4 2 outer 2 top and 2 bottom on the stl1/2 and 2 outer 0 top and 0 bottom no infill in the dxf zip is the motor mount plate and fuz wing plate and wing cord and tip if you use a fin instead printed wing tips
Nov 07, 2017, 10:47 AM
Thx for sharing think il print it next Year
Nov 07, 2017, 11:21 AM
Yes, thank you for sharing. I will start next week...as soon as my printer is available!
Nov 07, 2017, 01:12 PM
Retired CAD guy
Merci beaucoup

For very little weight increase, I use packing tape or similar on the WHOLE WING !

Even low temp model covering films work to fend off some of the wear and scraping.
Nov 07, 2017, 03:08 PM
at the moment i am using offcuts of my loft insulation foam and it just splits on impact but intend to look out for EPP foam i have just found a good solvent for PLA Dichloromethane (methylene chloride) is good for colle and for smoothing PLA tetrahydrofuran in a sealed container and vaporized then taken out and left to dry but both very nasty chemicals so be very carefull with them.
the wing cord for the flying is a E186 at cord and anything you like to use at tip.

i am still working on the pod and boom so will post them when i have the first maden
Nov 07, 2017, 04:51 PM
Thanks dpot!
Last edited by Dauntless Stan; Nov 07, 2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: deleted
Nov 08, 2017, 04:47 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
I'm interested in giving the glider pod a try Although, for looks, I think the canopy bump looks odd
Nov 09, 2017, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_thumbs
I'm interested in giving the glider pod a try Although, for looks, I think the canopy bump looks odd
i started the design with two stander servos / Turnigy GliderDrive SK3 Competition Series - 3858 - 4.6 840kv / 4S 3000 ASPEC. folding prop: 13 X 7/
this should be good for glider up to 2.5 KG then i raped the design around it so to get the 4s 3000 lipo 35x48mm the canopy had to go up to git it in .

as the design evolves it will change i am looking at changing the 2 stander servos at the front of fuz for 2 minis in the tail and have a 3 d printed tail assembly for it

any suggestions please
Last edited by dpot; Nov 09, 2017 at 07:01 AM.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:37 PM
With a motor in the nose, and with the forward fuselage being 3d printed, I don't think that adding servos in the tail is a bad idea - it should balance out just fine. A 4S 3000Mah battery huh? you building a hot liner?

I need to get back to 3d modeling, but I'm just really slow at it because I'm still learning.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:35 AM
i am going through sum training for T spline using the model for practice
i am not to good on the power side of the electric motors most of my other models are fuel powered but thinking of a hotliner and just sum thing just float around need to have a think on wing cords .
Nov 15, 2017, 01:11 PM
dpot,
There are so many different variables with electric power setups, and to make things harder, different motor manufactures use different numbers. There are some online tools for calculating setups. I mainly fly unpowered gliders (DLG, highstart, and slope). In the past I flew electric foamies, but I went with recommended power setups for those (for scratch builds) or bought receiver ready models.

I know with thermal eGliders, the goal is to keep the weight down. The power system is just used to get the glider up to altitude then it is shut off. Most pilots will use two batteries, one for the motor with just enough juice for 2 or 3 launches, and one for the radio gear. In your case where you want to have fun, you can go much simpler. I have a wood 1.5 meter wingspan glider. It uses a single 800Mah 3 cell battery. If there are thermals around, I can stretch that batter out to a 30 or 45 minute flight.

I don't know how big you plan to make your eGlider, but for the slope glider I'm designing, I'm just copying dimensions and other specs from other gliders. It is also a project for me to practice 3d cad, and have a unique model to experiment with

-Heath