Buying i6S Tx and suitable battery question - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 04:42 AM
Discussion

Buying i6S Tx and suitable battery question

Just awaiting delivery of my fisrt plane and now need a transmitter. After much looking around I am pretty sure I want a Turnigy i6S.
I don't plan any competitive flying, just for fun so a good basic model should do me fine.
I may as well buy the Turnigy rather than the Flysky as it has 2 recievers and I don't want the phone holder on the Flysky. That is my sole reason for choosing one over the other.

Main question is batteries for this. I see the reciever needs 6V so that is a Ni-Mh 4 battery AA pack.
I liked the idea of Lithium but that adds the complication of a regulator so I think it is best to stick to the above.
I assume rechargables are no problem, I am looking to buy a pack of 8 Duracell rechargables 2500mAh, 4 for transmitter and 4 for reciever.
I guess this should be fine. I can imagine I will only do a couple of 10 min max flights before returning and can recharge all then, so they will well outlast the flight time of the main plane power Lipo battery.
How long would typical NiMh last in a TX Rx, just ball park will do so I know what to expect.
Any advantage to buying high or Low mAh ratings, I know sometimes higher rating doesen't mean a proportional usable time, so 20 is not twice as good as a 10 ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 06:29 PM
Modern radio's use a lot less power than old 27,72,75 hz radio's. The 2500 mah duracell will run at least 1 hr without problem, don't forget you can set a low voltage alarm on the i6s so no fear of losing control due to dying batteries.
Nov 07, 2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks, for me that should be no problem, use for a 2-3 flights and recharge.
I was reading up and saw a standard battery only stays at 1.5v for a short time, then little diifference between it at 1.2v and the standard alkaline. Only question, now answered, is how long they last in this sort of use. Tha units I am looking at have alarms, just checked, so no worries.
Nov 08, 2017, 04:58 AM
Just been looking at the Rx batteries and LiFePO4 which give 6.6v. The Reciever for the i6s says 6.5v max (naturally). I assume this would be ok ? as the pack would be unlikely to stay at 6.6v beside which these should be ok at 0.1v over ?
Nov 11, 2017, 03:24 AM
Hi, just thinking of switching aliegence to Flysky fs-thx9 as seems a better unit. That said it does not monitor the reciever voltage, no telemtry function ?, but seems a better all rounder with some future proofing.
Currently assembling a trainer aircraft for which it is over qualified but have ambitions for a helicopter in the future, and maybe a scale model plane.

Edited to add- internet nearly psyched me out. Back to Turingy I6s as now seems to have lateste flysky based software, also can be used for planes. Somebody on youtube said it couldn't as no trim function. Seems this is autotrim which if I understand it right is... Flying along and drifts right, move stick to correct this and push the autotrim button, now flies straight when stick is in the centre. Sounds good to me.
Last edited by charentejohn; Nov 11, 2017 at 05:42 AM.
Nov 22, 2017, 06:16 AM
Just further info on the TGY-i6s firmware. This has the older software 0.0.5.11 but will eventually have the newer one (similar to FS-i6s) available.
I asked Hobbyking why the newer one was no longer available (was shown on Youtube video of how to install) and they said it had some problems so withdrawn pending some rewrites. Their advice is keep an eye on the options (in the Upload Files section on the item page) and the fixed firmware should appear, no date as such but at least it is in hand.
Happy with the unit and can wait for the upgrade, still on sims.