When did you teach kids to fly RC, and what with? - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2017, 01:00 AM
Discussion

When did you teach kids to fly RC, and what with?

I have not been active in RC hobby since the birth of my first child. Life was too hectic then. My oldest is now 7 and my middle child is almost 6, and I am thinking about introducing them to RC so in the weekend we get to do something that I am interested in, rather than just going to playground and pushing them on the swings ad nauseum. I myself self-taught on EPP slope gliders with A-E control only. I am thinking about same for the kids, but just wondering if others have similar experience or is it just a waste of time at these ages? I did buy them rubber band free gliders and these do capture their attention but I found myself winding the rubber bands more than actually flying with them and after a while they lost interest with the constant down time winding the rubber bands...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 02:32 AM
When my son was 6-1/2, I introduced him with a PZ UM T28, Ares Gamma 370, and HobbyZone Super Cub. He liked the T28 the most.

I first put him on a simulator, like a lot of kids that age he was/is very technology oriented and took to it very quickly. So the real flying was easy.

I've found with kids that they either like it or not, if they don't no amount of encouragement works, if they do you can't get them off of it. For example, I tried to get him interested in building, starting with a Fly Boy. He never finished it, I had to finish it, and he was uninterested in flying it.

Regards
Nov 05, 2017, 01:46 PM
Kids are a HARD sell !!! Like Grup said they either like it or Don't . When I was teaching if some one brought a youngster out I would try them on a glider and buddy box first . If they lost interest right away SO DID I . If they stuck around and wanted more flight time we would stick with the glider for a few flights then maybe give them some time on something else to see how it went. I didn't have a lot of young students , I wouldn't put up with any crap wasting my time , that was also ment for their parents . Give them a try, you will know by the second or third flight if the time is right . Also give them a chance to " assist " you with repairs etc. " DON'T force them , you'll both get upset then . ENJOY !!! RED
Nov 05, 2017, 02:06 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Some kids take an interest in flying RC , some do not . Some kids can learn at an early age , some can not . EVERYONE should start with a proper trainer ...... learn to crawl before you learn to walk before you learn to run .

3 Year Old Justin Jee(Chi) - U-Can-Do 3D EPP Electric RC Airplane Flying - Oct 18, 2005 (5 min 14 sec)
Nov 06, 2017, 12:41 PM
What, Me Worry?
In my experience with teaching a few kids, I have found that 12 years old is the 'right' age. Meaning, younger than that, they couldn't get the hang of it and got frustrated. At 12 and beyond, they seemed to catch onto the hand/eye coordination and how to move the sticks without over-controlling. I am sure there are exceptions, but not with the kids I have taught/attempted to teach to fly.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:54 AM
thank you.

may be better if i wait another year or so. i guess i can take them up the slope and they can fetch downed planes for the time being....
Nov 08, 2017, 11:14 PM
If they're past crayons and into pencils and markers they're ready to try fabricating. I showed a friend's 8 yr old daughter flying, but no interest. However she was interested in all hand and small power tools. With HANDS ON supervision, she tried soldering, drill press and 3/8 hand drill in wood, dremel wire wheel, hobby knife and and hot glue gun. The hobby knife and hot glue were obviously all I'd let her use by herself with supervision. She got adept at hot gluing scraps of blucor into little structures, drawing /markers on paper, and glue sticking the paper to the blucor. It doesn't matter if they're interested in flying!!! Creating/building something/anything is a start. It depends on exactly what they're interested in creating. If they don't want to go past paper and markers that's no big deal either. All that matters is that they're doing more than video games.