Push-Up, closely following Keith Laumer - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 05, 2017, 12:37 AM
Build Log

Push-Up, closely following Keith Laumer

I am building Push-Up, retaining the size and 020 Pee Wee engine, but adding radio control. This will replace my old Push-Up that flew away to Never Never Land. I have some experience with RC now, so this one may stay around longer.
I want to improve a bit on my old build. I plan three channels, with partial power control by adjusting the mixture.

I printed plans posted on the thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...PLAN-Build-Off. I am cutting up my old plans to trace around for part shapes.
Shown are my new fuselage sides, and the old one before and after the crash and re-build.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 03:54 PM
B for Bruce
I was going to suggest an exhaust ring. But I think you're right and a lever that controls the needle valve over about a 1/3 of a turn should work just fine to take the edge off the power.

Best of luck with the replacement!
Nov 06, 2017, 12:19 AM
I added a contemporary carbon fiber touch, where the first one broke when it ran into a street.
The book calls for 1" Veco wheels, but 1 1/4 were on Ebay. Heavy, but most of that is in the plan.
I curved the landing gear legs to distribute the landing bending stress more equally along the wire. My Sky Ray landing gear bounces it 10 feet in the air.
Nov 08, 2017, 12:45 PM
Progress.
Nov 15, 2017, 11:37 PM
I am adding three inches too the wing, as I did before. Covered the cowling with Al foil, in imitation of Ryan trainers with Alclad.
Yesterday, 03:11 PM
I am making a lot of small mistakes and impressions, and fixing them up a bit.
Yesterday, 03:17 PM
I am making some small errors and impressions and fixing them up somewhat.
The wing is 33 " as before, but the top of the tip sticks straight out, so that neither side has a compound curve. I came out that I had to end the planking before the spar instead of over it to make it fit right. Otherwise, it is strictly according to the plan in the book.
Last edited by david.ingham; Yesterday at 04:00 PM.
Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Small mistakes are par for the course!

Andy