Indoor Foamie - Hornet - RC Groups
Nov 04, 2017, 10:29 PM
Discussion

Indoor Foamie - Hornet

Ill need to get a picture up of this as i couldnt find one on google by searching for its name as printed on the buiold instructions.\

Got a bargain a few days ago, an indoor flying foamie ARF just needed a reciever, AND it came with a brand new in packet never opened kit. Basically the one ARTF although still flew was a bit battle scared so a by one get one free type deal ready for transplant of electronics.

Anyway i set it up with an orange rx reicever i had around, .

Now the very first thing i noticed is this thing just wanting to climb, and wen i say clim if you held the powe ron it would fly almost 90 degrees without almost full elevator, it was a real struggle to fly level even with full elevator.

went back through the es trim, found both elevators to be slightly yup so acting like elavotors, re trimed it to get both down. Stills same....

I aksed about cg and was told put the battery on the velcro it should be right. the instructions say 70-80 mm back from the leading edge, i checked and it was way tail heavy being beyond 50% of the wing so super tail heavy. but its not pitch sensitivie infact i found the elevotor really poor.

Motor looks like theres no thrust angle but pretty sure that should cause it to want to hover under throttle.

basically the way it was, i found that the rudder was pretty much close to a 3D profile, but the ailerons and elevotor were lacking. The aielrons have plenty of throw, but i do think the elevator doesnt have enough through.

its not really a 3d foamie, although it does have a fairly large wing area nd the ailerons are quite big.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 05:22 AM
here it is. as i said ut flies vut requires lota od down elevator to fly level.

Nov 08, 2017, 05:21 PM
No thoughts?> when i say needed lots of down elevator, i mean full trim PLUS atleast half stick forward.

I might just built rip the electronics out of it and transplant it to the new kit thats sitting in the box, i knocked the rudder of taking it out of the car. I really think it needs rebalanced as i cant get the battery far enough forward to get it to nuetral balance.

the original owner said it was balanced for indoor flying and would fly almost vertical, seems odd making a plane tail heavy for indoor flying but hey im new to this.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:19 PM
Did the deal include you having to get it out of a tree with a brick? It looks like itís no longer anywhere close to square.

Make sure the wing and elevator are parallel with each other and 90 degrees from the fuse and rudder. Once you have that you can visually trim the plane to get it close. After that you should only need a few clicks of trim from your transmitter to get it right on.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Flight
Did the deal include you having to get it out of a tree with a brick? It looks like itís no longer anywhere close to square.

Make sure the wing and elevator are parallel with each other and 90 degrees from the fuse and rudder. Once you have that you can visually trim the plane to get it close. After that you should only need a few clicks of trim from your transmitter to get it right on.
lol

its flown at an indoor flying even my local club has every year, from what ive been told its pretty brutal with some models being taken out by quads, im guess this has had run ins with quads/

Yes the tail is not square, i did try and square it up heating it up and persuading it back to straight, but after 20 minutes it wasnt square again. although its not square if that was the issue id epxect it to be doing more than just wanting to fly nose up, as in it would be banking aswell. it literally wants to just fly almost vertically with no elevator input.

ayhway i havnt tried it since i rebalanced it, its probably worthwhile just building the kit up and transplanting the parts although i was hoping to get smoe flights with this one before getting the new kit done.
Nov 15, 2017, 08:23 PM
Had a brief look at it again . Yeah nothing is entirely square.

It looks like the motor was at a slight up angle, so i fixed that by carefully breaking and hotgluing. most have been crashed nose first because the firewall was actually at an angle not the motor.

STill just wants to point straight up . UI htink its just really tail heavy