Nov 04, 2017, 08:48 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Thread OP
Discussion

Zop Power Batteries.

We had a bit of a discussion in the "Look What Came In The Mail" thread, a while back, on Zop Power packs from Banggood.
I noted that I found the cells to be ok, but the 12 gauge wires were too light & got a bit hot under load.
Well I was fanging one of the 4s packs in my Keps 21 rigger, when she just stopped dead in the water. Thought I'd done a speedie.
But when I opened her up, the positive power lead fell out of the pack when I tugged on it.
It's easy to see why in the pics below. Only about 1/8" of wire was soldered on to the tab. The negative wire was the same.
When I solder power leads on to Lipo tabs I make sure the wire is stripped to the length of the tab to make a good bond.
So I removed the negative lead & added some 10 gauge leads.
I will do the same to all the other packs I have now too.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2017, 10:18 PM
I have 4 of those packs Paul so it looks like we should follow your fix . thats not very good when you consider if they could of cut atlease 1/4 inch of wire cover off and soldered that amount on all would be fine.
Nov 04, 2017, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
That's true. But hey. They're a budget pack. I haven't opened up the other packs yet. Maybe tomorrow, & I'll let you know how they look.
Nov 05, 2017, 08:42 AM
You might get what you pay for
Here's a better idea...stop buying those crap packs. I bought one once just to try...had a dead cell right from the package. Junk.
Nov 05, 2017, 10:04 AM
You wonder if some manufacturers do these sort of things on purpose to have premature failures hoping you will need to buy more batteries.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
Here's a better idea...stop buying those crap packs. I bought one once just to try...had a dead cell right from the package. Junk.
Well I can't agree that they are Junk. The cells themselves are good enough for me to win races with, against better known packs that you would most probably consider 'not junk'.

Sorry for your disappointment with a dead cell. But that happens with the more recognised brands too you know.

The only disappointing thing for me was the small gauge leads & the small amount of cable attached to the tabs.
I've disassembled, repaired & reassembled a lot of packs over the years, for myself & other club members & it's not the first time this problem has occurred.
A lot of high end packs involved in those repairs too.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50 View Post
You wonder if some manufacturers do these sort of things on purpose to have premature failures hoping you will need to buy more batteries.
I sincerely hope not Martin
But who would go and buy another one after a failure like that?
Nov 05, 2017, 03:11 PM
I suppose when you think about mass production and the age of most workers involved in the assembly line many of which would have little experience in good soldering works , maybe this is why we do get some badly put together units. i have only noticed the soldering work on the external plugs when i change over to better quality plug ends and some soldering is very good and some abit hit and miss, as long as the cells are ok and for the price of these packs and some of the hooby king supplied packs i have purchased , i can,t complain atall . and yes you can buy a high end lipo pack and have a dead cell before its first charge so we found out some time ago with my sons electric 3d helis. luck of the draw.
Nov 05, 2017, 05:58 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Ive used Zop packs before in my quads without any real issues ( the poor tab soldering is a new one to me ) for me theyve performed better than nano's on a like for like basis( there were some generic sparkly red shrinkwrapped 3s that were a bit subpar but still performed). Some have been less mah than stated but generally they happily give out the required amps without turning into portable nuclear warheads. Im slowly switching to graphenes purely because my requirments have gone up and they are available locally ( at a much higher cost of course) my zops will no doubt end up in a plane or my ft01 boat.
Nov 06, 2017, 10:48 AM
That looks scary to take the battery apart!
Nov 06, 2017, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Good to hear that the packs work well for you scousethief.

Panhead.
Scary at first. But I've been doing it for years. Removing dead cells from packs. Splitting packs into smaller packs. Replacing power & balance tap leads. Re-soldering cell tabs together that have come apart etc.
Re-soldering a lead onto a tab is probably the easiest of fixes to be done to a lipo pack.

There are many precautions to be made, but as an industrial & commercial electrician, I have a healthy respect for electricity. Regardless of it being 11,000 Volts or 7.2 Volts.
Nov 06, 2017, 04:45 PM
Free my speech
It takes some getting used to and prep in case of an accident. If you can, better done outside with a bucket of saltwater.

Just be smart and take your time. You have to know different solders too as some require special flux.
Nov 06, 2017, 05:43 PM
actually most common wire joint flux is the Rosen Core type. thats all i,ve ever used from day one. soldering iron heat is the key to successfull soldering as well as very clean joins.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:03 PM
Thread OP
That's correct.
Some cell tabs are aluminium & I use Alusol solder & also a liquid aluminium flux for them.
Fortunately it all mixes with normal electrical solder too if that's what is already on the joints.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:38 PM
have you looked into any other packs yet Paul ?

Quick Reply