HG3XA problem - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 04, 2017, 03:21 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Question

HG3XA problem

Some time ago, I purchased an HG3XA on a whim (thought it might be interesting to play with). At the time, I didn't have a plane that I was interested in putting a gyro in so the HG3 got set aside and more or less forgotten. This summer I got a ElectroStik and thought that it would be a good plane to experiment with the gyro. I installed it as best I could according to the instructions (couldn't figure out how to set up my Aurora 9 to work with the HG3). The first flight was almost disastrous. After a series of severe abrupt climbs and dives, I managed to get the plane down with only broken landing gear. I removed the gyro and stuck it back in a parts drawer until this weekend when I thought maybe I would try again to set up the gyro and if successful at the bench, then try again in an airplane.

The setup is as follows:
Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter
Optima 7 rcvr
4 HS 422/300 servos
2300 mah Nimh power pack
HG3XA gyro

Power up the transmitter, activate RF, turn on airborne pack. Steady red LED on rcvr. Both red and blue LED's blink on the gyro at about 1 second intervals and the "throttle' servo glitches in time with the blinking LEDS(throttle servo is not connected to the gyro-direct connection to throttle output on rcvr only). No other servos will move at all.

I have attempted to set up the Aurora 9 but the instruction manual instructions do not correspond with the HG3.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tony
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 12:49 PM
You do not want to follow the Aurora 9 manual for setting up a gyro as it will want you to use the gyro function on the transmitter- this is not one of those types of gyros, ignore this entirely.

You need to program in a 3 position switch (any 3 position, does not matter which, whichever you are most comfortable with) into your Aurora 9 and assign it to any unused auxiliary channel. Plug one of the HG3XA's jumper wires into that channel on your receiver (so if you use channel 6 in your transmitter as being assigned to the 3 pos. switch, then you would plug the jumper into channel 6 on your receiver).

Now plug the other end of the jumper into the channel labeled "Switch" on the HG3XA. You will now have control of the gyro with your assigned 3 pos. switch. Plug your servos into the corresponding channels on the gyro, these will be labeled as "OUT" on the right side of the servo pins.

Now plug the jumpers into the channels labeled as "IN" on the right side of the servo pins. These jumpers need to be plugged into the corresponding channels on your receiver- for example, "Aileron" needs to be plugged into your AILERON channel on your receiver, "Elevator" into ELEVATOR , "Rudder" to RUDDER.

Once you have established this, you will then need to power the model up- make sure the motor is disabled somehow, either propeller removed, or motor unplugged. Set the powered up model on the runway and perform the following procedures:

-Set the tail as though the airplane were to be flying perfectly straight and level.
-Take the 3 position switch on your transmitter and cycle it back and forth for 2 times within 1 second. This need to be done at a high enough speed to tell the gyro you want to establish the neutral point. When this has been done correctly, the gyro will indicate with a rapid series of flashing lights.

This procedure is outlined on page 4 of the HG3XA instruction manual.

At this point, you are ready to check whether or not the gyro is commanding the controls in the correct direction. Flip the aircraft into Stabilized mode (blue light) and then proceed to checking the model as per the HG3XA instructions on page 6. Ensure that the control throw directions are operating in the correct direction. Do note that it takes quite a sudden movement for the gyro to react, you may not see any movement of the surface if you move the aircraft slowly.

If the gyro is commanding the control directions of the control surface in the incorrect direction then you will need to reverse the function inside of the gyros reverse menu- please do note that by reversing the control directions in your transmitter you will effectively reverse the direction that the control surface moves by your input, not by the gyros input. What you are correcting here is the direction that the gyro tells the surfaces to move, not what direction you tell the controls to move. You can find reversing information on page 7 of the HG3XA manual, it details exactly how to reverse the gyro compensation directions.

If you need any more assistance then you may find it best to give our office a call, sometimes these things are better explained over the phone with someone- please do have all of your equipment in front of you as they will be able to walk you through the gyro setup.