The Quinjet form the Avenger movies - RC Groups
Nov 04, 2017, 02:15 AM
Discussion

The Quinjet form the Avenger movies

After some discussion on the modeling science forum about whether a design like the Quinjet, with it's anhedral wing, would even be stable enough to fly (Thanks guys for all the input) I decided to give it a shot. Whats a Quinjet? Well it's a fictional jet plane from the Avengers movies. There are a couple of different ones actually. So I found a couple toy Quinjets by Hot Wheels at my favorite thrift store. So my plan it to use them to make a buck for the fuselage and cut some wing cores from pink foam insulation and I'll be flying with Captain America and the Black Widow. OK enough of that here is my progress so far. I'll post some pictures from the movie next time after I do a little more research.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 08:56 PM
Here are a few pictures from the movie Age of Ultron. This is the version Iím, kind of, sort of, trying to recreate. I couldn't find three views online, so I watched the movie and paused it and snapped a picture.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:26 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
It always amuses me when people pontificate that a plane with an anhedral wing will not fly.
Have they never seen a plane with dihedral being flown inverted?
It happens a lot and it's no big deal.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:23 AM
treefinder
Or watched a flock of Canada geese, especially on their final gliding approach to the water! (granted their onboard computers are monitoring and correcting attitude in real time. . . . )
Nov 09, 2017, 12:55 PM
Well I'm going to find out how well it flies. One thing to keep in mind with both of those examples is the vertical center of gravity. A goose has it's wings high above it's body and most of it's weight below it's wings. A low wing plane with dihedral when inverted will also have a vertical CG well below the wing. This plane will have the majority of the weight above the wing. This can be unstable. All that said the sweep in the wing, the anhedral being aft, and the angle of anhedral being minimal I feel it will actually fly quite well.
I am more worried about the way it will land. With the wing tips at the lowest point I'm afraid it will cartwheel on landing. I have couple ideas but haven't settled on a final plan yet. Any ideas?
Nov 09, 2017, 02:50 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Springer has a design he calls the One Sheet Floater (OSF)
It is high-wing configuration and, as it is RET, it has dihedrai,
You would be amazed how well it handles inverted flight, banking in the turns, and generally looking very comfortable.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:25 PM
Well I had a chance to do a little on the Quinjet. I keep trying new thing with the vacuum forming. On this build I am going to do a concaved bottom and convexed top to fit the top of the wing. The haves will be bonded together at that point. It should make for a strong and light fuselage. The wing will be two pieces. The wing will tuck under the fuselage. Hope it becomes clear as I get it formed.
Dec 03, 2017, 08:07 PM
It's been a while since I worked on the Quinjet. Here is what I have got done to this point. Next up cover the wings and pull all the parts.
Dec 21, 2017, 05:58 PM
It's been a long time since I've posted on the Quinjet. I've been working on it but just haven't found time to post. There has been a lot of questions about weight with the News print/ diluted wood glue covering method so I dug out my cheepo scale. It weighs in 5 g increments or 1/4 oz so it's not the best but it is what it is. Here is what I came up with.
Dec 22, 2017, 12:12 PM
You know I just noticed I have this in a discussion heading not a build log heading, oh well. So I have a bunch of pictures of the parts being vacuum formed.
Dec 24, 2017, 02:19 AM
Ok, can't sleep so I guess I'll post the last pictures I have. I have all the parts pulled and trimmed. I am starting to think about assembly and finish work.
Dec 30, 2017, 11:42 PM
Really cold in Minnesota so best thing to do is build a plane. Here's a little more progress.
Dec 31, 2017, 09:36 AM
psychedvike, that's quite a wing core machine you've got. make it yourself?
david
Dec 31, 2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer
psychedvike, that's quite a wing core machine you've got. make it yourself?
david
Thank's David. Yes I did build the wing core cutter. It will cut tapered wing cores. The best part is I can set it up in ten minutes or less. I used to use a drop bar gravity cutter but it took me forever to set it up. So I came up with this design. I put out a video about it on You Tube. Here's a link if you want to check it out.
Hot wire wing core cutter. (13 min 27 sec)

Quick Reply