Taranis - Failing to update firmware on X8R - RC Groups
Nov 03, 2017, 06:35 PM
Question

Taranis - Failing to update firmware on X8R

Hi all, please help,

Tonight I upgraded my Taranis Plus to Open TX 2.1.9, purely so that I can update the firmware on my receivers that I cannot bind with. OpenTx upgrade went fine with no problems.

I have 3 receivers. 1 x X4R and 2 x X8R. I have downloaded multiple firmware files for both type of receiver.

When I attempt to flash any of the firmware files to any of the 3 receivers the screen says 'WRITING', the bar goes about half way very quickly and then the lights turn off on the Rx and on the screen I receive the following message: "FIRMWARE UPDATE ERROR".

Does anybody have any idea what is causing this?

I doubt it's the receiver at fault as I have tried all 3 and get the same error.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 06:54 PM
Hard to say but I would double check the way you are wiring the RXs to the module bay. Seems the most likely problem. The +ve and gnd are switched in the module bay compared to the SPort and it is easy to get things in reverse order by mistake.

I assume you are using a stock battery. Make sure your TX battery is charged.

WARNING: If you are using a replacement 3S lipo battery you may be over volt'ing the receivers which could cause damage. VBat is the raw battery voltage. You need to use the stock battery or some alternative +ve voltage (eg regulated 5v or 2S LiPo).

https://oscarliang.com/flash-frsky-rx-firmware/
Nov 04, 2017, 05:41 AM
Thanks for your response

The issue in the end was as simple as the firmware for the receivers not being compatible. I downloaded some slightly older versions and they flashed ok and I can now bind with them.
Nov 05, 2017, 02:00 PM
hmm...interesting.