Tissue - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2017, 05:19 PM
Patience my ass !
Discussion

Tissue

Any one ever use the tissue from Michael's . I will be using it on a sheeted surface so strength isn't a issue
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 10:52 AM
Yes,... well, at least I think so...

What I believe you are talking about, is commonly called "domestic tissue". From what I can tell, there is no real detrimnent to using such, in place of "japanese tissue". People today, refer to latter it by it's proper brand name AND "esaki is better around moisture and finishes a bit shinier and with less coats of dope/sealer. "Domestic" is a bit heavier and displays less wet strength, but frankly, both will quickly disintegrate if not careful, around H2o.

I prefer esaki but have no qualms about using domestic, especially if it comes in colors esaki doesn't. There is no difference in actually binding "domestic" to sheet balsa
Nov 08, 2017, 08:09 PM
Patience my ass !
Thanks for the input
Nov 09, 2017, 09:19 AM
I've used tissue from Hallmark and Wal-Mart, plus other places over the years. I recommend you test each type before using it, as some types (including some of the pricier Hallmark tissue) won't accept water or rubbing alcohol spray (the rubbing alcohol doesn't warp wood as much as does the water). That is, the water/alcohol beads up or is only absorbed in streaky areas, resulting in inconsistent shrinkage.

I can't say how well the tissues absorb dope, etc., as if they won't accept rubbing alcohol, they go into the gift paper box.

I like tissue as trim for Litespan/Coverlite, and so forth. Doped on with thinned dope, then shrunk with rubbing alcohol, gift tissue can look great (just don't try to use white tissue as trim, as it turns transparent when doped).

CD
Nov 09, 2017, 05:35 PM
Tissue will work however Silkspan applied wet is a lot less trouble.