Feb 07, 2018, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Holy crap. Tasked with taking this rig to Costa Rica to try and image a couple archaeological sites next month.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2018, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benderfly
It is a Velodyne VLP-16. It was in a PrecisionHawk Lancaster, but the plane was too small and underpowered to lift the sensor and it was crashed (not by me). So I took the sensor out and coupled it with a GPS with PPM that is supported by the sensor and interfaced to an onboard Linux computer. Frankly every commercial outfit told us we would not be able to get this configuration to work, but I just think they don't know how to fly and want to sell their complete solution at a high price. The original PrecisionHawk config with sensor was serious cash and it did not even work very well. I think our Multirotor solution with location data integrated into the sensor is much more usable.

Turns out it is about the data capture and algorithms used to create a usable model and the flying part is secondary. We now know we have the ability to reliably capture the data so moving along to processing and modeling. But... winter.
Well done for getting this to come together. I have seen some lidar sensors for very reasonable prices and was considering it myself but the unit your using is $5k plus is that correct?

Thanks
Mick
Apr 11, 2018, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by giumick
Well done for getting this to come together. I have seen some lidar sensors for very reasonable prices and was considering it myself but the unit your using is $5k plus is that correct?

Thanks
Mick
Thanks! We are writing it up for submission so I am working on all the details. Yes the Lidar puck is still around $8k I believe. The computer (Intel NUC) was around $700 and the GPS was $80. We are flying it again tomorrow hopefully now that the weather is finally turning. Works pretty good for structures and treelines.
Apr 12, 2018, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benderfly
Thanks! We are writing it up for submission so I am working on all the details. Yes the Lidar puck is still around $8k I believe. The computer (Intel NUC) was around $700 and the GPS was $80. We are flying it again tomorrow hopefully now that the weather is finally turning. Works pretty good for structures and treelines.
You had excited for a moment as i thought the lidar you were using initially was one of the units i have seen for under 200

I have had requests for lidar mapping but its still out of our reach. Whats the total weight of the Lidar system if you dont mind me asking pal?

p.s At first i thought you had mapped a house affected by a sink hole for testing haha.

Regards
Mick
Apr 16, 2018, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by giumick
You had excited for a moment as i thought the lidar you were using initially was one of the units i have seen for under 200

I have had requests for lidar mapping but its still out of our reach. Whats the total weight of the Lidar system if you dont mind me asking pal?

p.s At first i thought you had mapped a house affected by a sink hole for testing haha.

Regards
Mick
The VLP-16, computer, 3S battery and computer power supply are only around 1.4kg. I think we will see prices come down over time, but most of the mass produced Lidar sensors that are hitting the market cheap are for self driving applications and probably will not be useful to make point clouds from 70-100m like the VLP-16. I think those will hold their price point for a while. But I could be wrong, we will just have to see how things develop.

Yes the original area where the UASV took off from has been overpopulated and with the Kaarta post processing you get that look of a "black hole". The data set can be further manipulated to remove that artifact.
Jul 12, 2019, 01:07 AM

how did you do it

Hi benderfly, I know this is an old thread but I am in a similar situation I have a VLP-16 and a DJI S900 but no idea how to integrate this sensor. Any chance you can share your setup?

Quick Reply