Lidar on S800Evo Test - RC Groups
Nov 03, 2017, 04:27 PM
Discussion

Lidar on S800Evo Test

Finally got the Lidar Sensor tied to Garmin GPS and Intel NUC Linux box onboard one of our Hexacopters. Hoping to get it flying and see if it can actually capture data! If it works, we get to go to Costa Rica and image a couple archaeological sites. Always hoped to find a way to work with RC aircraft for work, can't believe it is actually happening (I am working for the State University of New York, Dept of geography and planning and they pay me and everything).

UAV Lidar Bench Test (0 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 06:15 PM
Nice!
Nov 11, 2017, 12:01 PM
how much you want for it
Nov 12, 2017, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonraker007
how much you want for it
LOL not mine to sell. I just get them working for the College to use.
Dec 07, 2017, 02:25 PM
Success!!! After many attempts and adjustements, I got a viable data stream capture.
Dec 08, 2017, 09:18 AM
UAV Integrations
VERY cool! I didn't realize you were involved in UAVs beyond FPV for fun...interesting! How long have you been on the commercial/"actual work" side of the UAV world?
Dec 08, 2017, 01:10 PM
Hmmm...I don't get it? It looks like a wormhole to another dimension in front of a creepy old barn!

Cool, but...?
Dec 08, 2017, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
VERY cool! I didn't realize you were involved in UAVs beyond FPV for fun...interesting! How long have you been on the commercial/"actual work" side of the UAV world?
I am an assistant instructor os the State University of New York, department of Geography and Planning. I left my 25yr Lab Medicine professional career 2 years ago for a new start in a new field. This is one of our fleet, it was a donated s900, scavenged LIDAR and a micro PC (intel NUC) onboard. Has been a challenge getting it to work but very rewarding.
Dec 08, 2017, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDoktor
Hmmm...I don't get it? It looks like a wormhole to another dimension in front of a creepy old barn!

Cool, but...?
These are screen captures of the resolved point cloud. In fact it is a 3 dimensional image with millions of registered points. Alt/distance/density/volume... just some of the calculations that can be derived from this data set. As well as peering through dense forest canopy. This aircraft is actually being set up to take to Costa Rica next year and image ancient archaeological sites, looking for pathways and foundations in the jungle.

And that is not a barn but is my house. This was a one minute test flight and the "hole" in the backyard is the initial point of the UAV flight. In the future we will be able to eliminate this artifact. But I like describing it as the black hole I created in my backyard to toss in frequency violators ;-)
Dec 08, 2017, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDoktor

Cool, but...?
And my wife calls it the Upside Down, from Stranger Things.
Dec 08, 2017, 01:57 PM
UAV Integrations
I'm impressed! You did an amazing career pivot! VERY COOL! I love seeing people dive into something new that they're passionate about (especially if it's UAVs and/or FPV!).

You should look into the Cloud Cap Technology Piccolo Nano series of autopilots. Very mature and not a hobby class autopilot.
Dec 08, 2017, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
I'm impressed! You did an amazing career pivot! VERY COOL! I love seeing people dive into something new that they're passionate about (especially if it's UAVs and/or FPV!).

You should look into the Cloud Cap Technology Piccolo Nano series of autopilots. Very mature and not a hobby class autopilot.
Thanks, man! appreciate the info I will take a look. The DJI stuff is very limited. The PrecisionHawk is basically MissionPlanner...

Leaving my position was a big risk and still is... making a career change mid life is not an easy decision. I was an executive in a Lab company with great pay and benefits. But I am not looking in the rearview mirror, and love my job now. I used to make a LOT more money, but some things are more valuable. :-)