Shelf Queen revisited, ohh the smoothness, wind me up - RC Groups
Nov 03, 2017, 04:20 PM
Discussion

Shelf Queen revisited, ohh the smoothness, wind me up

sweet as silk when,

1 replaced both tail bearings and put a wider 3mm one on the slider side,made a hardened steel shaft (probably stainless) from a disc drive transport mechanism 3mm diameter as well, because they don't make a shaft for belt drive 450 pro v2 tail cases.

had to put a good dfc hub on the head when the old one got floppy due to the heli having a serious case of the vibes which I could not solve for the longest time.

I have a 300 whose vibe issues were so terrible the thing was shaking itself to death and became totally unflyable. My trusty 300 back yard flyer was put on a shelf and left for dead back in spring of this year until shortly after completion of my 420 heli just a week ago I looked back to the 300 and gave it one more chance. Last time it flew it crashed and stripped a main gear, broke blades, bent shafts, and probably added to ruined bearings. Because I had the parts and an align 3gx which came off a 450, I got to rebuilding everything it needed except the tail shaft. Spooled it up yesterday and even though one tail bearing was essentially new and all the other parts except the tail shaft changed to good new one's it still had a vibe. Had a 2700kv motor in it formerly and put back the 3500kv it had before spring, just before it went vibe nuts thanks to a few too many connections with things in the back yard, a tree namely) Back in spring when it became problematic i was ready to toss it into a wall because the vibe problem was so elusive it caused gyro freaks and broke a few sets of blades and just made a terrible waste of time working on it with no hope of getting it smooth and flyable. This time many months later I gave it one more chance and I'll say HOLLEE is it ever smooth and nice sounding like the 420, who knew.

Got in the door from a test spool up after a tail shaft replacement of 3mm rod from an electronic and a wide 3mm bearing on the slider side, everything tightened down and 3gx ready (3gx was yesterday's little mid day entertainment) and NO FRIKEN VIBE HUMMING like a reed in heavy wind, fantastic. I thought I lost this 300 to parts forever but gave it one more chance. Shows you what you can learn by putting something away if it's that much trouble and coming back to it a long time later with more patience and knowledge.

wind me up, here comes frosty, DQ, frosty, ohh I wish it were summer all year round, lol, then a person could relax about their interests and leave them and return any time. Here's to you frosty I'm going to fly mine in a blizzard like I just don't care and like I've done with a 450se a couple of years back. Nice florescent chartreuse and orange canopy and it'll be visible even on the worst winter black and white back drop (not like my Dynam Razor 450 which became the 300, 450 flown at dusk past march 2017 with no canopy and a mini cam on the front in a light snow, man that was fun, challenging and reviewed the vid from it a few days ago to take note and laugh.

300's are fun as much as big ones, enjoy. (now I have too many small helis, is ten helis total too many?)

And I thought the vibe sickness was incurable. Now to sort out the 3gx cyclic wobble ( an adjustment in the cyclic ring I've read).

nutty hobby rc helis, .
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 08:57 PM
here's a snap of the video I was talking about,

Name: dynam450bpciwinter.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 42.5 KB
Description:

view from the heli.

I flew a Blade 300x the year prior in the same location with great success and took ground to sky vids of about half dozen flights(summer time) memories of eras of days gone by.

Are you not looking forward to saying f it, I'm going to fly no matta whot? and just like the franken 300 I was determined not to toss the frames because of a little 6 month rest on a shelf. Stumbled upon the substitute parts while looking for other things btw, fun, and cool I held on to some things for awhile until they were finally utilized..

Now this is after a summer of man handling about a quarter million lbs of landscaping work by hand, bigger things in the scheme of the big picture and all.

My 300 is the bridge between an esky coax of several, 10, years ago and cp in my backyard, many fond and not so joyous memories of learning to fly there with some kind of heli. Winter's on it's way to keep us down and indoors for nothing but about 5 months, ohh what fun it is to ride, fly I mean. A lot has changed in ten years.

It was funny that I noticed a fly hitching a ride on my left shoulder as I rode my mountain bike this afternoon, flung it off like the problems on the 300, ohh what are we to do.
Last edited by icanflyheli; Nov 03, 2017 at 09:05 PM.
Nov 03, 2017, 11:45 PM
rc user
my 300X has never flown right, always had vibes.
i think the motor bearings may be bad.
Nov 04, 2017, 12:14 PM
3gx is an anomaly of programming and mounting limitations, took it off and will consider something more user friendly. When you get used to the ease of programming and multitude of mounting choices of other gyros the 3gx is history, too goofy. I liked it until it started becoming a guessing game of did I do this right and that right and then screwed up the original set-up.

as said earlier my 300 is an abbreviated dynam razor 450, shortened an aluminum boom to 300x length and threw a 450 se belt in, made up a custom align 450 main gear owb hub and used align/tarot 450 head and tail. Only problem now is the cracked inner sleeve of the owb, a dynam product and out of stock in most places if not everywhere. The heli is back on the shelf until I can afford a easier to set up gyro but after the work I did it spools up very smoothly. An 1800kv motor and 6s lipos and it'll 3d well,that I have confidence in.

At least it's ready to fly again without any problem mechanically. If it had a gyro I'd be out flying it around the back yard for a few lipos, then continue cleaning up the yard after, lol.

edit, awe shucks gave the 3gx one more try and figured it all out, enough to get the 300 flyable for now. Man when you get used to spektrum ar and kbars and other gyros the 3gx can be mystifying at times.
Last edited by icanflyheli; Nov 04, 2017 at 10:30 PM.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanflyheli
here's a snap of the video I was talking about,

Attachment 10481791

view from the heli.

I flew a Blade 300x the year prior in the same location with great success and took ground to sky vids of about half dozen flights(summer time) memories of eras of days gone by.

Are you not looking forward to saying f it, I'm going to fly no matta whot? and just like the franken 300 I was determined not to toss the frames because of a little 6 month rest on a shelf. Stumbled upon the substitute parts while looking for other things btw, fun, and cool I held on to some things for awhile until they were finally utilized..

Now this is after a summer of man handling about a quarter million lbs of landscaping work by hand, bigger things in the scheme of the big picture and all.

My 300 is the bridge between an esky coax of several, 10, years ago and cp in my backyard, many fond and not so joyous memories of learning to fly there with some kind of heli. Winter's on it's way to keep us down and indoors for nothing but about 5 months, ohh what fun it is to ride, fly I mean. A lot has changed in ten years.

It was funny that I noticed a fly hitching a ride on my left shoulder as I rode my mountain bike this afternoon, flung it off like the problems on the 300, ohh what are we to do.
-I like this post. I can identify :-)
Nov 08, 2017, 10:53 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
my 300X has never flown right, always had vibes.
i think the motor bearings may be bad.
From what I understand it was a common problem for those motors (320H).

I can't remember exactly how I fixed mine, but it involved securely mounting the bearing into the motor casing.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:56 AM
rc user
yep, i think there is a motor fix out there somewhere. i'll get to it some day
Nov 08, 2017, 10:58 AM
Destroyer of Threads
DO IT NOW!!! ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER (0 min 4 sec)

Nov 08, 2017, 05:17 PM
Mine has a motor from a 450, no worries about crap blade motor. 4300kv. My heli was originally a 450.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:12 AM
the motor fix on the blade unit was to add a bit of threadlock between the shaft and the bearing inner race.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:40 AM
rc user
so the motor shaft is too small for the bearing ID, enough to create vibrations? or does it slip?
Regarding loctite, does it matter which kind? i assume green is best?
Nov 09, 2017, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
so the motor shaft is too small for the bearing ID, enough to create vibrations? or does it slip?
Regarding loctite, does it matter which kind? i assume green is best?
Circular retainer is what you want, not threadlocker. HOLDTITE R48 seems to be the stuff the online shops sell; it's green. Loctite has a bunch of them, you probably want 638 (wider gaps) or 648. I think they're all green but Loctite also makes green threadlocker.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:56 PM
rc user
thanks for the info
Nov 11, 2017, 10:45 AM
anyway no sooner than I have the things on my franken 300 ironed out than the owb sleeve splits in two, and I was itching to fly a high rpm micro again, hehe, ohh the back yard fun of years past in every kind of weather except rain. Watching the 300's get tossed by the wind and reacting quickly to prevent the heli from hitting objects has been a blast, pun not intended.