Glider identification? - RC Groups
Nov 03, 2017, 03:55 PM
Help!

Glider identification?

Hi RC Groups.

I have a hi-start glider, obviously old, but no idea what it's called. Flew it for the first time yesterday and it's not too bad! Guessed the COG on the mainspar, which looks like spruce, but if I had the plan, I could check. Does anyone know what it is?

Ta
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2017, 01:32 AM
Reminds me of the NSP Kestrel, though the tail is wrong and the wing was in two pieces on that one.

The rudder and fin are shaped similarly to a Bong Boomer, but that's a much larger glider that was earlier than this one. The wing looks like it's based on a fashion that happened after the Shuemann wing planform was publicized. I think that fashion was based on an article in Soaring from 1983, so I think that puts an upper bound on the age.
Nov 04, 2017, 10:45 AM
B for Bruce
The criss cross tail surfaces don't really look like something you'd see in a kit. So I'm thinking it's more of a plan built model. You could confirm this with a close internal inspection looking for parts markings that are clearly commercially stamped or if there's hand written markings.

Either way given that you live in England I'd be thinking more of a British or European design. Be it a kit afterall or perhaps a magazine plan. There's always the option too that it's an original design.
Nov 05, 2017, 02:46 AM
I've had a real good look on the web.... Outerzone and Aerofred...but nothing like this at all. I too am guessing that it's plan built but it woild be great to find the plan / article for it.
Nov 05, 2017, 11:01 AM
Balsa breaks better
I was thinking home brew/ roll your own . . .
Parts look like this plane and parts look like that plane but none of the parts are those planes . . .

Joe
Nov 05, 2017, 02:41 PM
Could well be right Joe. No sign of anything similar. Perhaps just a frankenglider.