Printing your own jet drives - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2017, 11:19 AM
Discussion

Printing your own jet drives

Hate to see the "other" project cease due to sensitivities, insecurities, impatience or what ever. I've been following these threads for awhile now, and as a new jet drive enthusiast, I'd really hate to see everyone's hard work and time be wasted over all this drama. Not to mention I've spent a lot of money recently and just bought a 3d printer because of the interest in the original project... Shall we put all drama and feelings aside, and continue the venture on this thread?

My projects are waiting
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 12:25 PM
As far as I can tell, the drive prototyping is still going. Maybe this thread will be a decent discussion place for things a little more 'off topic' than the original thread? I felt a little weird posting queries about my oddly specific project/designs over there.

So what drive/projects are you working on or preparing for?
Nov 03, 2017, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaoro
Hate to see the "other" project cease due to sensitivities, insecurities, impatience or what ever. I've been following these threads for awhile now, and as a new jet drive enthusiast, I'd really hate to see everyone's hard work and time be wasted over all this drama. Not to mention I've spent a lot of money recently and just bought a 3d printer because of the interest in the original project... Shall we put all drama and feelings aside, and continue the venture on this thread?

My projects are waiting
I am sorry roaoro.

If you need any help or have questions, please send us a personal message (pb).
That is Sundogz and/or me.
Nov 03, 2017, 09:49 PM
Just Plane Nutts
He'll be back, and so will the project. This isn't the first time this has happened, and pretty much for the same reasons. The melodrama will pass.

If everyone here acts civil and treats each other with the respect they expect for themselves, all will go back to normal again.
Nov 03, 2017, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldias
As far as I can tell, the drive prototyping is still going. Maybe this thread will be a decent discussion place for things a little more 'off topic' than the original thread? I felt a little weird posting queries about my oddly specific project/designs over there.

So what drive/projects are you working on or preparing for?
My first jet project was the NQD, a blast to play with in the creeks after all the mods and upgrades. Didn't take long to outgrow though. I hung tight for Proboat to work out the problems with the River Jet, and now have V2 which I am quite impressed/pleased with for the most part. Steering is my only complaint at the moment, and will likely try one of the "printed" buckets next. I just picked up a used 48" hull for $20 the other day, and seriously thinking of putting a large jet in it. Looks like it was previously set up for a weed wacker motor, but would like to convert it to all electric.
Nov 03, 2017, 10:40 PM
Just Plane Nutts
There's always 28mm KMB drives available among others (LINK). KMB produces some cool stuff: https://www.kehrer-modellbau.de/en/hulls/
Nov 04, 2017, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
He'll be back, and so will the project. This isn't the first time this has happened, and pretty much for the same reasons. The melodrama will pass.

If everyone here acts civil and treats each other with the respect they expect for themselves, all will go back to normal again.
I'm pretty pissed about this too. Ive already got a few of the files loaded on my printer and am interested in the rest of them. This butthurt , taking my toys and going home crap doesn't fly with me. This was supposed to be an open source project with input from potential users to get as many things incorporated as possible, and available to ANYONE who wanted to use them without having to PM or kiss somebodys butt.

The files, nothing more, should be posted in their own locked thread for use by all.
Rick
Nov 04, 2017, 10:51 AM
‛٭٭(▫▫)٭٭
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaoro
My first jet project was the NQD, a blast to play with in the creeks after all the mods and upgrades. Didn't take long to outgrow though. I hung tight for Proboat to work out the problems with the River Jet, and now have V2 which I am quite impressed/pleased with for the most part. Steering is my only complaint at the moment, and will likely try one of the "printed" buckets next. I just picked up a used 48" hull for $20 the other day, and seriously thinking of putting a large jet in it. Looks like it was previously set up for a weed wacker motor, but would like to convert it to all electric.
48" hull needs a large jet like a Jettec, not these little plastic things and powered with a zenoah. 1/5 scale electric conversions are in the $600 range. Jettec are $800 you aren't going to run it in a stream like you do with them little jet boats. You need to run in a lake ,in a lake the slow speed will bore you to tears. 1400 for a slug is too much to pay, a prop boat will fly by it for a lot less money.
Nov 04, 2017, 10:53 AM
‛٭٭(▫▫)٭٭
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofintrash
I'm pretty pissed about this too. Ive already got a few of the files loaded on my printer and am interested in the rest of them. This butthurt , taking my toys and going home crap doesn't fly with me. This was supposed to be an open source project with input from potential users to get as many things incorporated as possible, and available to ANYONE who wanted to use them without having to PM or kiss somebodys butt.

The files, nothing more, should be posted in their own locked thread for use by all.
Rick
Design your own.
Nov 04, 2017, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtech
Design your own.
Really! Fan boy on my man. Guess you don't get the whole available to all thing. Right here is where I would tell you what I really think, but would get banned for it so I'll just shut my trap. Have a nice day sir!!
Nov 04, 2017, 01:24 PM
I designed my own yesterday. Its dead easy lol
Nov 04, 2017, 01:39 PM
Jet Drive Design & Development

Who left?

Who left? If you go back read the last post you'll see the files are still available, but you need to ask for them now. You might need to be reminded of who's idea it was to start the 3D project and who's design it is.

I should rewrite the first page of the 3D thread. What started off as an open source project soon got filled/cluttered by chit chat on all types of unrelated subject matter. We weren't getting anything accomplished, so I had to close the thread and change it's name to what it is now. Engineer and Solidworks guru Michiel (Unusual RC) volunteered his services to take my designs and use CAD to develop useable .stl files that we could give out for free to those that would help Beta test them.

In an effort to allow members to be able to freely share info from printing and testing of the drives, I reopened the thread. But it again quickly got cluttered with the same unrelated chat by the same people (including Airdogge, who I had reminded time and again to please refrain). So since this was to be a reference guide and not a chat room, I again closed it.

In the months that followed I purchased a 3D printer and Michiel and I spent hundreds of hours developing and perfecting the pumps - me personally spending hundreds of dollars on filament and printer repair, bearings, seals, shafts and impellers from Shapeways for example. During that time I published and posted the different sizes of drives available for those willing to participate in beta testing the fruits of our efforts.

For a third (and final) time I reluctantly decided to open the thread (thinking the ne'erdowells would surely leave it alone this time) to allow members to share info on beta testing the drive, and the rest is history. Consider that we have been giving the results of all this hard work away for free. Members Roaro and Roofingtrash surely didn't know these details when they assumed I was 'taking my toys and going home'.

For that matter consider who started the first Jet Drive Boats thread (all jet info was in the NQD thread), or who's idea it was, and who took the initiative to have RCG dedicate a forum for Jet Drive Boats (we used to post in the 'Fast Electric' forum). Member Fourtech, you assured us we couldn't do it, remember? Or who save the PRJ from extinction with a thread on how to fix it's many problems when it came out. I have given quite a bit of myself to this hobby, so please take that into consideration when those I've mentioned try to convince you otherwise (and they will). Sdg.
Nov 04, 2017, 01:50 PM
I FULLY back-up Sundogz in above statement!
Amen!

And for me the last post I will make here on this part of the forum, unless something changes.

You can pb me!
Goodbye
Nov 04, 2017, 02:06 PM
Highjack alert...hijack alert... 'I' 'I' ' I' 'I' 'I' nobody else but 'I' Proboat saved the River jet..they took notice of the original buyers issues and not from someone who sat back and did not buy one and tried to 'bum' a boat for free...The issues were out there before you started with your superglue here and there fixes.
Please...someone pass me a sick bag.
I just knew it would not be long...That will be my only post here as I have no interest in 3D printing parts for myself but all the best for roaoro with his thread...no idea where he is from though...I am hoping it's not a pseudonym.
Nov 04, 2017, 03:23 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
But it again quickly got cluttered with the same unrelated chat by the same people (including Airdogge, who I had reminded time and again to please refrain).
And I have told you countless times to stop playing dictator. But you are too stubborn to see or admit to your own errors

Last I looked ( and before you delete or change evidence as you always do), we were all in a discussion about finding a suitable coupler for a jet set-up fro a fellow member, a discussion you yourself were participating in. Suddenly you got hissy and started instructing US to stay on topic. It's all there in the printed jet thread. Play mama to your own infractions, bro. We did nothing wrong.

Quote:
For that matter consider who started the first Jet Drive Boats thread (all jet info was in the NQD thread), or who's idea it was, and who took the initiative to have RCG dedicate a forum for Jet Drive Boats
For that matter, who cares? It doesn't matter who started what. That's sounds like something a child would declare (I WAS FIRST!), as was your act of deleting the file links in anger. What matters most is how we treat our peers.

Apologies to all those who got caught up in it all. It's not the first time nor the second time he has done the wanna-be-supervisor thing to fellow members, and when you let him know it's unacceptable, he refuses to listen and things escalate. Nobody should have to see or go though anything like this. W all make contributions to the forum and our friends here. Peace to everyone.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Nov 04, 2017 at 04:01 PM.