How Do You Store Your Planes? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 04, 2017, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceRep
I really like the PVC pipe rack that is a floor mount. However, most of my planes are a little large and I don't have the necessary open floor space for a floor type rack. My living room has a lot of space but, there is no way my wife would let me put my planes in the living room!

I was going to make a wall mounted rack with PVC and put the planes on a bedroom wall. With my larger planes it was just to difficult to come up with a PVC pipe design that would support my larger planes out from the wall that would not sag over time.

I found these really large 21" metal shelf brackets at Lowes. These large brackets make the ideal support for large and small planes. I put a 18" piece of pipe insulation on each bracket.
This was easy to put together, and I can easily adjust the spacing for different size planes in the future. I put the rack up high enough so I can almost walk under the planes. This shelving system is a Rubbermaid product at Lowes.

There are a lot of different lengths of mounting rails so it would be easy to make a wall rack for any amount or size of planes you have. I like the large 21 shelf brackets for all my planes.

Rob ServiceRep
I do the same, and make racks. They will support just about anything.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2017, 12:15 PM
Here is my solutions
Nov 04, 2017, 01:54 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!

Pvc ftw! ;)

Jason -- Nice thread! You've prompted an informative discussion here, with many good ideas.
ServiceRep -- I really like your Lowes bracketing solution. Looks very robust and adjustable.

Since discovering the simplicity, flexibility, and low cost of PVC, it has driven how I store my planes. A $10 scissors-like cutting tool slices thru 1" PVC like butter, making short work of it. So, I made a couple racks for my garage, a 3-tier portable rack primarily for transport in my SUV, and a little work stand that facilitates storage on any flat surface. The portable rack has a spring-loaded adjustable curtain rod dropped into the main vertical pipes, so I can compress them when staging the rack in my vehicle, and when I let go of them they extend tightly against the roof, preventing the rack from moving.
Nov 04, 2017, 02:01 PM
RCG Admin
Great stuff guys! Hopefully this helps a lot people who have to deal this addiction. Hi My name is Jason and I'm an RC Addict.
Nov 04, 2017, 02:21 PM
mutski
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbreeze1800
Here is my solutions
When using dowels, do you need a drill press to get the socket holes straight?
Nov 04, 2017, 03:10 PM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need
This may be the most useful thread on RC Groups!!
Latest blog entry: Extreme Flight 91" Laser
Nov 04, 2017, 03:34 PM
I store them this way at first, then later they hang on the wall or from the ceiling like everybody else.

Nice thread, Jason.

Andy
Nov 04, 2017, 03:35 PM
RCG Admin
Ha! I like how you can store those planes flat in the beginning. Great space saver!!!
Nov 04, 2017, 04:23 PM
“HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS”. I mean WOW
Nov 04, 2017, 04:37 PM
He who dies with the most toys ...

a) is still dead.
b) leaves all those toys behind. (Question: what did you send ahead?)
c) leaves the most mess for others to clean up.
d) leaves frustration for those who don't share his appreciation for those toys.

As somebody who has had the privilege of taking care of (c) for several friends (boy, is that a lot of work!), and seeing (d) in widows and other family members, I plan to give away as much as possible to those who will appreciate it if I see my time is coming. I've been part of that, too, and let me tell you it's a lot easier on everybody that way.

Andy
Nov 04, 2017, 04:52 PM
Andy

When a friend died from lung cancer a couple of years ago, I sold his RC stuff for his Widow.
Planes & everything else.
That was quite a chore & I wouldn't want to do that again.
Wouldn't want family to go thru that with my stuff either.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Nov 04, 2017, 05:13 PM
You make a good point Andy, thank you.
Nov 04, 2017, 06:33 PM

Placangar

A wardrobe / closet for collection of models and also workshop for construction.
3x3x1.5m (10x10x5 feet)
Opening a sliding door appears the magic of model airplanes.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:02 AM
A man without religion
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
He who dies with the most toys ...

a) is still dead.
b) leaves all those toys behind. (Question: what did you send ahead?)
c) leaves the most mess for others to clean up.
d) leaves frustration for those who don't share his appreciation for those toys.

As somebody who has had the privilege of taking care of (c) for several friends (boy, is that a lot of work!), and seeing (d) in widows and other family members, I plan to give away as much as possible to those who will appreciate it if I see my time is coming. I've been part of that, too, and let me tell you it's a lot easier on everybody that way.

Andy
I'd be more worried that my internet browser history wasn't cleared of all the smut sites! But what would I care, I'm dead.
Nov 05, 2017, 02:26 AM
StZ
StZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5
If you want something modular and moveable. Good for transport as well.
Clever idea for long storage I suppose, but how do you get the planes off the rack? If you want to fly the P-40 or the P-51, do you have to dismantle the whole thing? Can you do it alone or it is a two man job?