How Do You Store Your Planes? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

How Do You Store Your Planes?

Guys I don't know about you, but I am running out of space to safely store my aircraft. Check this thread out for storage tips.

Splash

Check this Thread for Tips and Tricks on RC Airplane Storage

Guys I don't know about you, but I am running out of space to safely store my aircraft. It's spilling over to other rooms, the garage and I just don't think I can fit any more planes. Luckily there is a swap meet this weekend, so I can try and sell some older planes I don't fly anymore and create some space for new stuff, but there has to be a more efficient way to store these planes besides a larger house. I wanted to write this article to show how I have my planes currently arranged and to get you involved and showcase your best tips, tricks and storage systems for your aircraft. Please reply below with your comments and photos and hopefully this helps out other users as well.

I try to use as much wall and ceiling space as possible. I've got purpose built hangers, screw in hooks, nails and more to try and get as many planes up off the ground and table as possible. I really like the hangers with padded arms to rest the plane on as it is safe and easy to remove and put the plane back when you want to fly. I've resorted to using neck straps and eye hooks to hang planes by the tail or prop on some walls and that seems to work pretty well too. I'm curious to see what methods and mechanisms you guys have used to save space and hang your planes. Looking forward to your replies below.

Nov 03, 2017, 11:14 AM
No wall space available for me to hang planes, so mine are in the garage, using various methods to store them & the remainder are hanging from the ceiling in my computer room.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Nov 03, 2017, 11:28 AM
RCG Admin
Nice! Wish I had that kind of garage space. May have to do some reorganizing in the garage in the spring. That or buy a new house.
Nov 03, 2017, 11:54 AM
Post-Apocalyptic Tactical Cons
I hang some up, some on the table and some under. I use the wide, flat military cargo paracord so it doesn't leave creases in the foam.
Nov 03, 2017, 01:13 PM
Got them all over, hang some from ceiling, some on walls... much planes....so awesome....
Latest blog entry: Building Season
Nov 03, 2017, 02:26 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredIronGRB
I hang some up, some on the table and some under. I use the wide, flat military cargo paracord so it doesn't leave creases in the foam.
Nov 03, 2017, 02:30 PM
Thanks Jason for the ideas Your plumber
Nov 03, 2017, 04:41 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
I drilled 3/4" every 6" or so on 2x4s and mounted them along the wall. Pop in PVC with foam and you have nicely adjustable rocks for horiz & vert mounting. I have all my bigger stuff in the garage, and smaller things on 2 racks in my hobby room. It's a constantly evolving puzzle-fit of which way everything will fit to maximize the planes per sq ft of space & keeping relative ease of removal for loading. I've since added a 4x7 shelf above the garage door which I've added some 1x2 vertical bars on one end to slide wings into vertically.

The 3 planes on the far left in the garage are hung with special hangars made by Metal Masters - which are AWESOME for the big stuff.

I started out using 3/4" dowels, but PVC is much cheaper - it just has to have the end sanded down a little so itll fit in the holes.

However, with 2 more 95" planes coming, where they'll end up is a mystery yet to be solved!!!
Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Nov 03, 2017 at 04:49 PM.
Nov 03, 2017, 04:54 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
Please adopt me lol
Nov 03, 2017, 05:12 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I bolt a 2x6 to the wall then attach a pair of 1x4s for each plane. I usually add a piece of rubber insulation I buy at Lowe's to pad the wood surface so the plane does not get scratched. Almost all the wood is scrap, so the cost is very low.
Nov 03, 2017, 06:32 PM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
No room in the house so ....
Nov 03, 2017, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Where do you get the flat paracord you use to hang your planes?
That looks like the answer to hanging my fleet in the garage...

Thanks!

RR
Nov 03, 2017, 06:59 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Maybe something like this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-10mm-bl...79GkrgXZ7JY36Q

I'd search for something in the Craft department first.
Nov 03, 2017, 07:07 PM
I just buy 1/2 & 3/4 inch Ribbon from a craft store.
Plenty strong & leaves no marks on the plane.
Never had ribbon break & I've been hanging my planes with it for over 6 years now.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Nov 03, 2017, 07:35 PM
Tagging to follow. I need some ideas once I get my shed cleared out.