Weaselfest 2018 - April 28th-29th - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by surfimp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 08, 2018, 09:58 PM
Aircraft Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
The Santa Barbara Shores route is the easiest - it's paved for a good portion of the way - and only a few minutes longer than the Coronado option. Highly recommend the SB Shores option for anyone with physical challenges, carts, or who would like to "avoid any Imperial entanglements..."

Well that's the trick, isn't it... And it's going to cost you something extra.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2018, 10:05 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Elwood is ready for the Weaselfest!
Latest blog entry: Douglas Silhoutte wing cores
Feb 09, 2018, 11:55 AM
⚙️🔧Tinkerer 🔩🔨
Bring it!!
Mar 02, 2018, 09:19 PM
Life is better now

Handicap access

What are the chances of getting a disabled person to the flying site if they have an electric 4 wheel scooter? Would like to attend but this would be necessary. If we do not make it....I wish you all another great event.
Bob
Mar 03, 2018, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
What are the chances of getting a disabled person to the flying site if they have an electric 4 wheel scooter? Would like to attend but this would be necessary. If we do not make it....I wish you all another great event.
Bob
Hi Bob, There's a good chance someone could make it out there on a scooter going in from Santa Barbara Shores Dr.. It's apparently pretty flat... Look back at the map on post #54 to get an aerial view of it... You could go into Google Earth and gauge distance as well... Search Ellwood Bluffs in Google Earth and that might give you a little perspective.

Some locals will probably post up here too, as they would have a much better idea of the terrain of the routes. I went in on Colorado street, and hiked out from there... It would be impossible to get a scooter through there, and it was even a slight challenge for my older body carrying my gear and all... as you have to go through the creek area. Beyond the creek is all easy/flat though.

I'm going to think about going in on Santa Barbara Shores myself, even though it's a bit longer, it's said to be much more level. I saw many flyers pulling in wagons from that area too.

I do hope you make it out. There's ample help to get your plane(s) flying, and the guys are very eager to retrieve planes as well. I think those guys that helped me and many others with retrieval (my plane did go down the cliff a few times) seemed like they lived to scale those cliffs.. very athletic and friendly. I think they liked climbing the cliffs near as much as flying. They have experience climbing, and it showed right there, and even that was cool to watch.

So ... Is there any way to get this guy out there folks?...
Mar 06, 2018, 12:44 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
I've gone the SB Shores route many times over the last few years pulling a folding wagon with all my planes. There's gate you'll need to negotiate at the end of the street. a 4 wheel scooter shouldn't be an issue. The path then goes down a bit steeply and then back up the same. it isn't all paved so there's some loose dirt/gravel. other than that the dirt path to the flying site should be traversable by scooter (assuming there's not some large ruts causes by rain). We've never had any problems getting the wagon over any ruts etc.

Greg
Mar 07, 2018, 05:03 PM
OOS in a trash lifter
Hey Bob,
Greg is correct, and all very good information. At the end of SB Shores Drive at the fence, there is an open gate about as wide as a standard doorway, scooter should go through no problem. I would just make sure you have a good strong battery with a full charge, as there is a hill about 30 yards long right after the gate that is paved. After that, it's mostly hard packed dirt roads, pretty smooth. If you need any help accessing the area, I would be glad to assist. my home number is949 699 0439, and I'll have my cell which is 949 292 5379. Jay
Mar 17, 2018, 12:33 PM

New Weaseleer

Hey Guys, I live in Las Vegas & just bought my first Weasel. Flew a lot of slope years ago (Cheetahs, Jaguars, SR7ís). Iím just getting back into it, been flying e-wings, Park flyers and a little slope to brush up.

Iíd love to come check out Weaselfest... are there any requirements to participate that I need to know about?

Thanks!

Jeff in Vegas
Mar 17, 2018, 03:21 PM
⚙️🔧Tinkerer 🔩🔨
The only requirement is being there
Mar 17, 2018, 09:14 PM
May want to bring a plane and radio. Just saying.............
Mar 17, 2018, 10:47 PM
⚙️🔧Tinkerer 🔩🔨
Yup, that’s right
Mar 18, 2018, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinLV
Hey Guys, I live in Las Vegas & just bought my first Weasel. Flew a lot of slope years ago (Cheetahs, Jaguars, SR7ís). Iím just getting back into it, been flying e-wings, Park flyers and a little slope to brush up.

Iíd love to come check out Weaselfest... are there any requirements to participate that I need to know about?

Thanks!

Jeff in Vegas
It's a very laid back day of flying, watching, relaxing, chatting, etc... Take supplies such as waters, sun-screen, hat, an extra power source to charge your plane(if you can or need too)... a nice foldable chair is usually a must, as there's nothing to sit on. You might want to take a snack or lunch if you're there long enough, there is food and such within a short drive, but you do have a short hike/walk to get from the car/parking out to the site, so consider that. There are no restroom facilities near the site either.. just an FYI there... but it's a great day or even for just a few hours if you can make it out. We went last year and we were out there about 4 hours or so... and time literally just flew by... it was the fastest 4hrs I've ever experienced... it was that cool.

There's no sign-ups, just a bunch of very friendly and helpful people that enjoy the freedom of it all. The scenery is very picturesque so take a camera. Winds didn't start up until about 11 am or so.. and they were light at that point.... not quite enough for a Weasel, but they were flying Alula's, and other light-lift gliders as well. The winds picked up very well for Weaseling about 12-1PM... It just was a great day.

The whole central coast is really filled with quite a bit of scenery, and with recent rains and such it should be somewhat spectacular... So.. come out and check it out if you can. The site is on a cliff overlooking the ocean, with alot to see.. At least that's how it was for me... I grew up over there, so I don't need much reason to just go back... as I do every chance I get.. the Weasel Fest is just a perfect chance for me to get away. Have fun!
Mar 23, 2018, 06:02 PM
Just finished pimping out our wagon. Ready for WF!!
Mar 25, 2018, 01:24 PM
I noticed that the Dreamflight ďSmart ChargerĒ that I bought along with my Ahi was powered by USB, so I hooked it up to my wifeís phone charger, and Bingo...I have a field charger for the Fest! I figure 10000mah will be good for 10 fill-ups...plenty for a whole day for sure!
Mar 25, 2018, 07:23 PM
Where's the source for 10000mah's come from? Curious is all. I use my 7ah(7000mah) hobby battery for my charger... and it's small, very toteable, right to the flight line. You know the batteries that go into a flight box. If you need to field charge with that DreamFlight charger at 200mah, it will take 2hrs to charge a 400mah battery(simple math).

Using my 7mah hobby battery, and my regular OMG-charge-everything charger, I just adjust my input amperage accordingly for a 30min-60min charge.. so my little 400mah battery can be ready in 30min... which is very acceptable for a NiMh... I've found that hobby battery is very capable... and I won't have to walk out to my car... just a thought for you there... I'm thinking you're plugging the phone charger into the car.... as I can't think of any other source to charge a phone out there..... I could be way wrong though.. which is why I'm curious. In any case Ward, thanks for that tip.

Quick Reply