Weaselfest 2018 - April 28th-29th - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by surfimp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 22, 2018, 01:08 PM
__Jackass Savant__
lets see if I can make this happen:

boz 19 and 2.4ghz

what number fest is it now? damn
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2018, 06:38 PM
in 2013 we made "10th anniversary" shirts...

so 15!
Jan 23, 2018, 12:15 PM
__Jackass Savant__
yea I was at that one “and the ten prior”

I apparenty spent too much time at the ruins that year.
Jan 24, 2018, 06:35 PM
Piscine Promulgator
After nearly two months without much if any of our typical breeze, the wind has finally picked back up. Got out to Ellwood at lunch time for a quick sesh. The green grass is so rad after the long summer of brown.

Jan 27, 2018, 07:36 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
Finally getting to fly my ahi at the ruins, OMG with our terrible fires they’ve turned the ridge into a moldie destroying mess
Latest blog entry: What I currently own..
Jan 27, 2018, 09:28 PM
Those pics are sad. I grew up in SB and it was beautiful at El Camino. As for WeaselFest, I'm ready!!
Jan 27, 2018, 11:30 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfarren
Finally getting to fly my ahi at the ruins, OMG with our terrible fires they’ve turned the ridge into a moldie destroying mess
They haven't even started putting in the gigantic anti-erosion water diversion swales yet?! It could be getting worse. That's the 3rd time dozers have worked over the top of the ridgeline in the past 7 years.
Latest blog entry: Cliffhanger AT6 PSS
Jan 29, 2018, 04:42 PM
Can someone give me a google maps link to the area you park and fly at. I see the bluffs area on the map but its a pretty big area. Or is parking not a problem? I live up in lake county and am not familiar with that area.
Jan 29, 2018, 05:30 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast

Ellwood access

There are 2 common ways to get out to the bluff, regularly we park near end of Coronado and walk thru the eucalyptus grove, this trail is not for those with glider trailers or people uncomfortable with loose ground on a bit of a slope. The Santa Barbara shores route is super easy almost flat walk.
Latest blog entry: What I currently own..
Jan 29, 2018, 06:52 PM
Piscine Promulgator
FYI, the trail at Coronado is (per the City of Goleta) posted as closed due to dangerous conditions related to deadfall in the eucalyptus grove.

With that said... many people simply ignore the signage and walk through. It's not clear what if any enforcement the city is doing, beyond simply posting the signage.

The trail at the end of Santa Barbara Shores (the green one above) is 100% open for business without issue as far as I know.
Jan 29, 2018, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
FYI, the trail at Coronado is (per the City of Goleta) posted as closed due to dangerous conditions related to deadfall in the eucalyptus grove.

With that said... many people simply ignore the signage and walk through. It's not clear what if any enforcement the city is doing, beyond simply posting the signage.

The trail at the end of Santa Barbara Shores (the green one above) is 100% open for business without issue as far as I know.
Ah.. So that green trail is how many of those with wagons were getting them in... good info... Thank you! .... We took the red trail last year, and it's not too bad.. but would be a bit challenging for anyone with more physical limitations then me(and I do have a few.. but made it fine).... There's a small creek area and grove of eucalyptus trees to get through.. with banks on each side.

There's also a link somewhere to driving directions to parking and trail-head. Parking (for the red trail) is in a neighborhood... and the trail-head is at the end of the dead end street. From there it's maybe a 1/4-1/2 mile(if that) to the bluffs where flying takes place... and you just set up right along side the trail.

That link for directions should be around here somewhere...If it's not in this thread it was definitely in last years WeaselFest thread... Last year was my first Fest and that map made it easy easy to find... Although I didn't know about the "green trail"... I might take a wagon or cart this year because of that...It looks handy, and the extra walk these days won't hurt me a bit... and I can carry a bit more waters and such too. Definitely plan for a day in the sun. Sunscreens and all.... oh and don't forget your favorite folding chair... That's the best part is just relaxing and watching and some flying thrown in there too.
Jan 30, 2018, 07:48 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude

Something to keep in mind:

The red trail (Coronado route) can be a water-filled bog if it's rained recently.

There's also an alternate route in from Coronado which goes around the west side of the butterfly grove rather than up the steep slope. It's not as easy as the way in from Santa Barbara Shores Dr, but it can be traversed with a small wagon. You still have to cross the creek bed, though, so it's also a no-go if it's flooded.

Pete
Jan 30, 2018, 01:18 PM
Piscine Promulgator
The Santa Barbara Shores route is the easiest - it's paved for a good portion of the way - and only a few minutes longer than the Coronado option. Highly recommend the SB Shores option for anyone with physical challenges, carts, or who would like to "avoid any Imperial entanglements..."

Feb 08, 2018, 12:54 PM
We'll be heading out there. Looking forward to flying with everyone.
BTW - are there restroom facilities at the location?
Feb 08, 2018, 05:43 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaReef123
BTW - are there restroom facilities at the location?
Nope - it's a dedicated open space / passive use park.

Quick Reply