How to remotely activate a solenoid - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2017, 05:36 AM
Help!

How to remotely activate a solenoid

It's hard to explain why, but I need to be able to remotely activate a 5V solenoid valve that's on top of the quadcopter. I have no more channels left on the receiver, but I can use another transmitter and another receiver, so that's not a big problem. How would I have to do it? Sorry if it's easy, but I'm not really good at electronics. Do the receiver channels directly output 5V? And will they have enough amperage?

Thanks for helping!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 08:51 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
RC controlled switch from Pololu.

The RX Outputs are for Servos. Search "hobby servo control" to learn what this signal is.
Nov 05, 2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks! Could you link me to the correct one? I had never heard of Pololu before... BTW the solenoid isn't 5V, it's 12V. I guess I'll have to use a relay.

EDIT: They ship from the US... I'd have to ship it to Spain, and I don't really have the time to wait nor the money (I need this to be done before 25 November).
Last edited by Jabamun01; Nov 05, 2017 at 10:02 AM.
Nov 05, 2017, 11:16 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
No location info in you Profile so Assume USA.

No idea where in the EU you'll find something to do this.
Nov 05, 2017, 11:36 AM
Exp-Tech.de got the Pololu stuff:
https://www.exp-tech.de/module/sonst...ow-side-mosfet
Nov 06, 2017, 10:27 AM
Thanks! But, how does it work? What would I use it for and in what way?
Nov 06, 2017, 11:42 AM
depends on what you wana do

what do you wana activate?
a Light, magnet ?

you can read more about the RC switch here :
https://www.pololu.com/product/2802

there is also some more explanations about it
Nov 06, 2017, 08:14 PM
What would you use it for? Well. the application you posted about Receivers don't output 5V they output a PWM signal.

Another option:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabamun01
Thanks! But, how does it work? What would I use it for and in what way?
Nov 09, 2017, 02:38 PM
Sorry but I've changed my mind

I now need to move a servo, not to open a solenoid (as I haven't found a cheap / high pressure / lightweight one). How do gliders make servos move? Is it just by directly connecting the servo to the 5V and ground and to the PWM from the receiver? Sorry but as I said I don't know much about this D:
Nov 10, 2017, 12:18 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Yep.

Web search Hobby servo to learn how they work.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:43 AM
I've managed to do it - Thanks!

I've tested it by disconnecting channel 1 from my receiver and using it to move the servo, just to try it out. However, I'll need to use another receiver with another transmitter, as I have no channels left. Where can I get the 5V for the other receiver? My ESCs don't have BEC.
Nov 12, 2017, 10:13 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Buy a BEC.