Can an electric plane pilot get into this for <350$??? - RC Groups
Nov 13, 2004, 09:42 AM
Valid8r

Can an electric plane pilot get into this for <350$???

Realistically, can an electric plane pilot who has 4-5 channel gear (Flash 4 and 5X Transmitters, Berg 5DSP's and servos and NiMh batteries and chargers) get into electric heli's for less than 350?

So restated, I am trying to figure out if I can by a heli with all of the gear needed (motor, gyro, ESC, etc.) for < 350 without getting a cheap toy that will end up being frustrating? I found that I needed to put out about $250 to really get started in electric aircraft with decent flight gear but I'm having trouble making out some of the subtleties of heli's. I have flown sims with helis without too much trouble and that's how I learned to fly.

Ideas, comments, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2004, 09:50 AM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
Valid8r

I would vote "probably".

Let's start with exactly what are the NiMh battery packs that you have .... number of cells ?, current rating ?

Without having to buy more batteries, you would be off to a good start with packs and charger(s). For instance, I have $360.00 invested in 4 NiMh packs and charger for my Corona.

Russ
Nov 13, 2004, 09:56 AM
Valid8r
Thanks for the reply.

I have 7 and 8 cell 1200mAh KAN's
Nov 13, 2004, 09:57 AM
Valid8r
Russ - what would you recommend as a package to look at and a preferred vendor?

Thanks again.

Jon
Nov 13, 2004, 10:04 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Perosnally... you can not put a limit on spending if u want to get into heli...

350 will not be enough to get a sufficient heli... and expecially to learn on...
Nov 13, 2004, 10:05 AM
Well,

I would be quick to recommend a Corona, for many reasons, but I'm afraid the 1200 Ma packs won't do. You really need 2600 to 3000 Ma 7 cell packs for a Corona and expect 10 to 12 minute flights. You may be able to run two of your 1200's in parallel though.

Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can give you a better suggestion.

In my opinion, the Corona is the best way to get your feet wet in the heli dept. Anything less is going to lean towards the toy type of thing.

My 2 cents,

Russ
Nov 13, 2004, 10:16 AM
Valid8r
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I've read a lot about the Corona and recognize that it's a good machine, but it looks to be too expensive for my initial foray into the hobby.

(sigh)
Nov 13, 2004, 10:20 AM
luc
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
I have seen a fully stock corona fly very well equipped with a PG 03 (cheap gyro) and the std brushed motor. You need to add 3 HS 81 (2 MG), a brushed controller 35A and you are done. 1200 mA is a bit limited, but your flights will be shorter...
350$ might still be a bit short, unless you manage to get a good second hand oportunity.
Nov 13, 2004, 10:30 AM
Valid8r:

Remember, your gonna pay now, or your gonna pay more later! If you start out with a cheaper, smaller (more difficult to fly) macine, it will belome a bottomless money toilet. You may be best to hold back a tad, and wait til you can find a used Corona, as Luc suggested, or just save your $$ bucks for a while and do it right the first time. I have read hundreds of posting from the guys that got a cheapie two motor thing and they get driven nuts and broke, and end up with a machine that is worthles. I hate to see that happen.

By the way, how many of those Kann 7 cell packs do you have? what are the dimensions ? How much do they weigh ?

Russ
Nov 13, 2004, 10:37 AM
flying with the KAN1200 in the corona will work, but you will ruin the cells very quickly..

maybe - if you have a simulator ??? and/or somebody who can help your with a teacher-cable

the Zoom400 is something for you..
the 7-8cells KAN will work..
heli a lot cheaper than Corona (and for later more fun too)

or: you go to ebay and search for a used LMH/Corona...
Nov 13, 2004, 10:47 AM
Valid8r
Thanks everyone. I fully understand the notion of paying now vs. later. I did it right when I entered the plane side of the hobby and bought good gear to start with so I could re-use it as I built up. I was just hoping that the $350 minimum would be enough to do it 'right' to get started. I understand that it isn't from the responses.

I've looked on Ebay for used Corona's and here in the forsale area as well and they don't come up very often - understandable as they appear to be a good machine.

Not sure how much my KAN's weigh, though I'm willing to buy some lipos that I can share with my planes as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon
Nov 13, 2004, 10:50 AM
Hello

You can get a TREX heli combo at heli hobby for 375. This includes everything!

- KX015005A T-REX 450X EP-Helicopter base kit
- KX850076A Align Gold 400 Brushless Motor
- K10249A Align small and compact Brushless ESC 25A with BEC
- KA910001A Align Super Micro Servo (Torque)
- KA910010A Align Super Micro Servo (Speed)
- GWS-R6NF Receiver 6 CH Futaba
- TLBGR301 Super Micro Heading Hold Gyro
- HH412 E-Tech 3C 1200mAH

Here is the link

http://www.helihobby.com/html/trex_helicopter.html

Thanks
Carlo
Nov 13, 2004, 10:53 AM
Well, that's what I'm in the process of doing, except it's new chargers and lotsa bucks.

But, you really can parallel the Kann packs (just as you would with LiPo's, to double the mA rating. How many do you have?? How many chargers?

Russ
Nov 13, 2004, 10:55 AM
luc
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
I would still keep my money for a long lasting, outdoor flying, CORONA....
Nov 13, 2004, 11:06 AM
you can parallel the KANS for use...
but do it only with batts with about same state (same age, same condition, same state of charge !!)

and donīt fly them empty, because one set of batts may be empty earlier than the other..

AND: never charge in parallel (As you would with Lipos !)...

for the Corona: you realy donīt need Lipos on a Corona..
infact the corona is that heli on the market which does profit the fewest from Lipos..

ok: it will fly longer..
but you donīt have any profit from the lighter weight as on other helis..
why ?
the Corona does not have collectiv pitch !
so: when you make it too light, you have to reduce the throttle and rpm..
and then it becomes unstable with too low rpm...

also reducing pitch (other blade-gripps) does not realy work as good as on the LMH110 (the smaller Corona) because the Corona already has less blade-pitch than the LMH110

so: light Lipos are good for all other helis on the market if you wana get brutal power/aggressive flying, ...
but for a beginner its not the best way..

the best way for the Corona:

8 3300GP... sold for 35 Euro...
2 batts of this with a good charger and you are also 30min in the air !

instead of one Lipo for 150 Euro with 6000mah
you can get for the same money 4 3300GP with over 12000mAh capacity !

Lipos are also not handling crashs that easy like GP3300... (physically)

so: Corona ? --- yes
Lipoly ? --- no (not realy needed...)
brushless ? --- sooner or later (if you choose it right, you can use the motor also in your airplanes !)

oh.. here some videos of mine (LMH110, the older version.. little smaller than Corona) with landing on table, speed,....

http://www262.www2.nefserver.info/Vi...n_goodqual.wmv (21MB version)

http://www262.www2.nefserver.info/Vi...en_midqual.wmv
(13MB version)

and here you can see why everybody loves the Corona (LMH110):
nearly indestructable...
http://www262.www2.nefserver.info/Vi...MH_Crashes.wmv

here the LMH110 of a friend of mine:
http://www262.www2.nefserver.info/Vi...us_mit_LMH.wmv