Can a glider with electric motor qualify as XC - RC Groups
Nov 03, 2017, 01:12 AM
Discussion

Can a glider with electric motor qualify as XC

Simple question/ do the FAI rules allow to fly a F5J type plane where you launch using electric motor instead of a winch??
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marios
Simple question/ do the FAI rules allow to fly a F5J type plane where you launch using electric motor instead of a winch??
Mario

I just read thru the FAI Sporting codes and the AMA Rules and Regulations for RC Soaring. I believe an electric motor would NOT be permissible for GLIDER records. Below is an excerpt from the FAI Sporting Code, Volume ABR, Section 4C, section 2.2.7:

2.2.7. Launching:
a) The model aircraft may be hand-launched or take off from the ground for record attempts in any
category except seaplanes, the launcher standing on the ground. Aerotow is not permitted.
Seaplanes must take off from a water surface. Model aerostats must take off from the ground.
b) For free flight a glider is launched by means of a cable of maximum 100 m in length. For radio
controlled flight a glider is launched by means of a cable of 300 m maximum length. Launching of a
glider may be carried out with the help of various devices such as winches, single or multiple pulley
trains, or by running etc.
To facilitate observation and timing the cable must be equipped with a
pennant having a minimum area of 2,5 dm2. All types of auxiliary stabilising devices are forbidden.
c) A parachute may be substituted for the pennant provided

Also, the AMA rules and regulations for Soaring appears to not allow electric self launching. The "National RC Sailplane Records" section of the AMA "Rules and Regulations" states the following:

The model may be hand-launched or launched by means of a line (hand tow, hi-start, or
winch) with a maximum launch length of 300 meters (984.25 feet). Hi-start
can be any combination of elastic and line, but stretched length for
launching cannot exceed 300 meters (984.25 feet). The towline must have
a pennant or parachute of suitable size and color to enable officials to
determine when towline release occurs. No other type or form of launch is
permitted. The launch equipment must be ground based.
Once released
from launch, no other propulsion of the model is permitted.

This is important because in order for the FAI to recognize a World Record it must first be certified as a National Record.

The FAI rules do allow for an electric motor in categories other than Glider. If the model has an electric motor I believe it would have to be classified as an aeroplane, not a glider. The category would be F5 open. Refer to the FAI Sporting Code, Volume ABR, Section 4C, Table 1. Gary Fogel recently set the Goal and return record for Electric Aeroplanes with what looked like a glider with an electric motor in the nose.

John
Nov 05, 2017, 10:38 AM
I believe the League of Silent Flight also excludes motor gliders.
Nov 05, 2017, 06:11 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I believe the League of Silent Flight also excludes motor gliders.
Electric motor-equipped sailplanes with ALES limiters are allowed for the eSAP, including the 3 XC tasks, but SAP tasks must be line-launch, hand-launch or slope.