Super Cuda Revival - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 02, 2017, 09:48 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Discussion

Super Cuda Revival

Howdy All,
About four years ago, I bought a nice Tipo that was part of an estate sale (Ed Hotelling). The seller threw in this "other plane" that turned out to be a Super Cuda. I sold the Tipo, the Cuda remaining behind as a curiosity.

The Super Cuda (Cuda going forward) has a special connection for me. The first is the designer, Don "Doc" Thomey. He was a pattern flier out of Ventura, CA. that would come out to my home field in Simi Valley, Ca. to put in some practice flights. Doc was a nice guy that took some time to encourage a young man starting out in pattern (me). He was one of a couple of local pattern fliers that shaped my R/C interests early on. The first point rolls and slow rolls that I remember were flown by Doc with that Super Cuda. I admired the grace and precision that he demonstrated. I wanted to do the same thing! Maybe one day...............I can do the same thing.

The second affiliation was Bill Stullick. Bill was a model maker for Lockheed, and at home he was a model maker. Bill manufactured a small line of kits, and made the fuselage & mold for the Cuda using Doc's specifications. A few locals built and flew the Cuda from Bill's kits. Bill was one of my primary flight instructors when I learned to fly back in the day. He passed away last year, and is missed. But having this plane means that I have something that he made. Some of his design stylings are present in the Cuda. The "Stuka" looking fin/rudder and big wing fillets were a Stullick trademark.

The airplane had S&O RX and servos. I took those out and gave them to Cal Orr. In it's place will go either a Futaba or Spektrum RX, and Tactic TSX 25 mini servos. The Rohm Air retracts were taken out and given away, a pair of Spring-Airs will go in. There is a K&B .61 with a Perry backplate pump and large bore carb up front. I'll be replacing it with an OS .61FSR and a Macs or NovaRossi pipe.

The fuselage and tail group are in pretty good shape. The wing did not fare so well. It was broken in two, and poorly repaired. The wing was then Monokoted over the paint (!). Weird. So a new wing is required. The good news is that RCAIIR makes a Super Cuda kit. I was able to get a new set of wing cores, bellypan and a drawing from Don. Thanks, Don!

The fuselage will be gutted and redone from the firewall back with a soft mount for the engine. The original finish is probably K&B Superpoxy, so it will be refinished in KlassKote epoxy paint. The wing will be glassed and painted.

It will be interesting to see how the flight characteristics compare to my memory from so long ago. The Cuda has a quite thick wing section, along with the long slender nose that was contemporary in designs from that era (early to mid '70s). I have a NATS results sheet from the 1977 Riverside, Ca. NATS showing Don Thomey placing 9th in Expert class. His Super Cuda was powered by a Webra Speed .61 wit ha MACS muffler S&O radio, Kraft retracts, Homebrew fuel, K&B Superpoxy paint and an 11 X 7W Zinger prop. Amazing amount of info in those old NATS results sheets. That is something that you no longer see. I inquired about the AMA number to the AMA and they verified it as being Ed Hotelling. I have no info on the builder.

Robert
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 10:59 PM
AMA 46133
Those are beautiful servos! Now that's a classic pattern plane!!!
Nov 04, 2017, 02:36 PM
This is a real beauty. Enjoy..

Regards

Achim
Nov 05, 2017, 09:46 AM
Luv It !

Race 66
Nov 05, 2017, 05:29 PM
Hello Robert I too have this cool plane it was my $20 barn find at a swap meet, had to hold back from saying what are you crazy $20. It's a complete kit w/1/64 ply & instructions sheet. I can copy it and snail mail it just shoot me an email.
I was glad to see info on the design & I'm following the referb with great interest ��

Duain
brntufly@aol.com
Nov 06, 2017, 08:53 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by duain
Hello Robert I too have this cool plane it was my $20 barn find at a swap meet, had to hold back from saying what are you crazy $20. It's a complete kit w/1/64 ply & instructions sheet. I can copy it and snail mail it just shoot me an email.
I was glad to see info on the design & I'm following the referb with great interest ��

Duain
brntufly@aol.com
Duain,
Thanks! Email sent.

I am glad to see the interest in this airplane.
Robert
Nov 06, 2017, 08:12 PM
AMA 73386
Love the linear servos
Nov 06, 2017, 10:38 PM
West Coast Director, CPA

Disassembly and Demolition

Time to gut the fuselage. The engine is a Lee Custom K&B .61 with PDP and Perry pump and carb. I wore a couple of these out back when life was simpler. I am grateful for the engines we have now.

Check out the bellcrank tiller gizmo. It was hooked up to the rudder pushrod, and when actuated pushed and pulled the cable steering for the Rohm Air nosegear. Again, I really appreciate today's modern radio equipment, we can mix a separate servo for that now.

The Tatone mount is another piece of history. The weight is reasonable for what it was, but you would have to machine it square.

Robert
Nov 07, 2017, 03:00 AM
Bo Edström, Sweden
The red linear servos looks very similar to the Mini-Mite linear servos that was used in EK radios from late 1960th through 1970th. I have a couple of them for my EK logictrol superpro 7 ch radio and they worked great, but the newer and lighter rotary Super-Mini was even stronger so that was what I used most.
Anyone know if it was it EK that was the real manufacturer of the linear Mini-Mite servos that was use by other radio brands also like S&O (Salkowski & Oddino)? I know two radio control manufacturer here in my country, Telepilot and Micronic, used red Mini-Mite liniear servos also in the 1970th.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Nov 07, 2017 at 03:06 AM.
Nov 07, 2017, 10:24 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
The red linear servos looks very similar to the Mini-Mite linear servos that was used in EK radios from late 1960th through 1970th. I have a couple of them for my EK logictrol superpro 7 ch radio and they worked great, but the newer and lighter rotary Super-Mini was even stronger so that was what I used most.
Anyone know if it was it EK that was the real manufacturer of the linear Mini-Mite servos that was use by other radio brands also like S&O (Salkowski & Oddino)? I know two radio control manufacturer here in my country, Telepilot and Micronic, used red Mini-Mite liniear servos also in the 1970th.

/Bo
Bo,
I believe you to be correct on the servos. Similar to how Pro-Line and Heathkit used Kraft servo mechanics. Makes sense for a small operation, saving lots of money on tooling and design.

I fly with Jim Oddino from time to time. He is in his 80's, and still flies like a pro. A real living legend.

Robert
Nov 10, 2017, 11:19 AM
West Coast Director, CPA

Original instructions

Many thanks to Duain for forwarding the attached information from his original kit. Data such as this is often lost to the ages, and having it helps us know and appreciate the history of these more obscure craft.

Robert
Nov 10, 2017, 01:12 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
So cool that he sent this info to you. What a blast from the past.

Doug
Nov 11, 2017, 08:13 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Some Super Cuda stuff from 1974.

Ray