Airbrush Beginner Question. - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 08:14 PM
Discussion

Airbrush Beginner Question.

Greetings.

I want to try out airbrushing to help add some nice weathering and other details to my Warbirds. I already have a nice 2 gallon air compressor in my shop and I'd like to use that instead of buying a new tiny one.

From my online research, it looks like I already have half of what I need with the tank's already built in regulator. All I need is the clear filter thingy to keep moisture out of the line and the proper connectors and tape to hook the airbrush hose up to the tank.

Am I on the right track? Or am I missing a major thing?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 08:39 AM
ARFs Are Me
Yup, you're on the right track.

I use a 6 hp compressor, with a 60 gal tank, and do just as you suggest. I run a second regulator, though, attached just before the air brushes hose connection. This makes it more convenient to adjust the pressure.
Nov 03, 2017, 10:32 AM
Mumbling in the corner.
I have a two gallon compressor that sits in the next room when I'm painting because it's a bit noisy. I have a regulator/water trap at the compressor. The air hose runs into my man-cave where I have another regulator/water trap fastened to the side of my workbench. The air hose from the compressor goes in one side and the outlet to the airbrush comes out the other side. The reason for setting it up like this is because when the compressor compresses the air it also heats it. Warm air holds more water vapor than cool air. This warm air will carry the water vapor right past the water trap at the compressor. Now the water vapor is in the air line headed to your airbrush!
The air needs to cool to allow the water vapor to condense out of the air. This cooling occurs in the air hose. Without that second water trap before the airbrush line the water would come out the airbrush along with the paint, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that. After a painting session I always empty both water traps, and the one at the workbench always has more water than the one at the compressor.
Check out how professional auto body paint shops are set up regarding the compressor and air lines.