"Die Fledermaus" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 02, 2017, 05:36 PM
Discussion

"Die Fledermaus"

I'm almost ready to order the balsa for this VTOL Quad. Much of the construction is balsa/foam with the wing spar (two 1/16" laminated balsa sheets) being permanently fixed to the balsa fuselage floor. The foam covered wing uses 1/8" balsa main ribs with the root rib being 1/4" and the end ribs being ply. Details of the ailerons will have to wait until after the wing is covered. Anyway, it's nothing spectacular, but the design is simple and straightforward, and should be a fun project.
More to follow.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 07:56 PM
Nicholas Jacobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbBob
I'm almost ready to order the balsa for this VTOL Quad. Much of the construction is balsa/foam with the wing spar (two 1/16" laminated balsa sheets) being permanently fixed to the balsa fuselage floor. The foam covered wing uses 1/8" balsa main ribs with the root rib being 1/4" and the end ribs being ply. Details of the ailerons will have to wait until after the wing is covered. Anyway, it's nothing spectacular, but the design is simple and straightforward, and should be a fun project.
More to follow.
Ailerons ? What about making the whole thing thrust vectored. No ailerons, no elevator, no rudder. Just 4 independent props ? If that doesn't work out you can always cut out the other surfaces as needed.

Nice, back to balsa (sort of).

Cheers
Nicholas
Nov 02, 2017, 09:12 PM
I'm curious. Would low pitch props as control props still work in that configuration if you're going fast? Like if you have a quad plane and the lift props are also used for control, will forward speed effect the lift prop's effectiveness for control?
Nov 02, 2017, 10:45 PM
I've not done this before,but the front motors should be able to handle roll, pitch, and yaw in FFF without using the rear motors. I suppose if the idea was to allow for more radical maneuvers the rears could add a bit of Wow. But since I'm still in only the foothills of this learning curve, I'm going for something more conventional. My plan is to use tricycle gear with a castoring front wheel so I can do normal takeoff and landings. I suppose I could use the rear motors like flaps for STOL.
I don't recall reading about comparative energy consumption between the same plane with different control configurations, i.e. vector control vs control surfaces. As for vector control, perhaps another day, but for now I think I'll stick with rudders, elevators, and ailerons.

Thanks guys,
Wayne
Nov 02, 2017, 11:39 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to see how it progresses.
Nov 05, 2017, 11:25 AM
I've pretty much finalized the design, but have yet to locate the electronics and landing gear. Ordered 8x5 bullnose props for the rear, and 9x5x3 props for the front. Also itemized my balsa requirement, but still waiting to place the order - fairly pricey. It'll probably take several months for me to pull together all the pieces, but I'm happy with it.