The actress and Spread Spectrum Technology - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 04:21 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Discussion

The actress and Spread Spectrum Technology

Although better known for her Silver Screen exploits, Austrian actress Hedy Lamarr (born Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler) also became a pioneer in the field of wireless communications following her emigration to the United States. The international beauty icon, along with co-inventor George Anthiel, developed a "Secret Communications System" to help combat the Nazis in World War II. By manipulating radio frequencies at irregular intervals between transmission and reception, the invention formed an unbreakable code to prevent classified messages from being intercepted by enemy personnel.

Lamarr and Anthiel received a patent in 1941, but the enormous significance of their invention was not realized until decades later. It was first implemented on naval ships during the Cuban Missile Crisis and subsequently emerged in numerous military applications. But most importantly, the "spread spectrum" technology that Lamarr helped to invent would galvanize the digital communications boom, forming the technical backbone that makes cellular phones, fax machines and other wireless operations possible.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 05:03 PM
And You're Not
That's Hedley!

Latest blog entry: My Quads
Nov 02, 2017, 06:06 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
That's Hedley!

Ha Ha! Great Blazing Saddles reference.
Nov 02, 2017, 08:28 PM
Quote:
That's Hedley!

I knew that was coming as soon as I started reading the 1st post.
Nov 03, 2017, 08:53 AM
Gotta love Mel Brooks!

Andy
Nov 03, 2017, 11:30 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
That's Hedley!
Beat me to it.
That's Hedley! (0 min 7 sec)