zepsus magnetic switches - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 03:51 PM
Discussion

zepsus magnetic switches

what do you know about these switches?
https://www.soaringusa.com/Zepsus-Ma...witch-F3K.html
on which size sailplanes you use it-or other of same brand?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 04:02 PM
I just switched and so far so good, takes kind of touch when doing the on/off motion on the fuse, but seems pretty slick.

Marc
Nov 02, 2017, 04:12 PM

data

data
Zepsus Magnetic Switch Nano 2Amp

Due to popular demand. SoaringUSA has brought to you the newest in Magnetic Switch technology. The Zepsus Magnetic switch is making waves in the sailplane community. This magnetic switch is as tiny as they come No more removing your canopy or hatch, simply slide the magnet over the switch from outside the model and "ON" it goes, repeat to turn the model off. You just canít get much simpler than that! The Zepsus mag switch utilizes the highest grade electronic components, so you can rest assured your model is safe using this new technology. The power consumption is very low, it's so low that the switch can be connected to a 300mAh battery for several years without discharging it. The Zepsus switch also has a built-in failsafe function that remembers its state for at least 10 seconds if disconnected from it's battery source. This feature will protect the switch against any power glitches caused by faulty battery connections.

Technical Data
Input voltage range: 2.5v~13v
Output current constant: 2A
Output current burst: >5A
Ultra low stand-by current: 5ĶA (micro-ampere)
Wire: high-quality 0.25mm2 / AWG 23
Weight: 1.75 grams / 0.06oz (length 10cm)
Length including cables: 20 cm / 7.8 in
Dimensions: 25 x 7 x 3 mm / 0.98 x 0.28 x 0.12 in
Operational temperature range: -40C to +50C
Nov 02, 2017, 04:14 PM

details

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. Gellart
I just switched and so far so good, takes kind of touch when doing the on/off motion on the fuse, but seems pretty slick.

Marc
please tell us more: what size of sailplane; how you connect it, anything.
the thing is, how do we know which fits which of our planes?
for instance, i fly 2 mt e powered gliders. how do i know which is large enough so i dont blow it or anything in my plane?
or links to places/people that know more about this?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 02, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:31 PM
DucPilot
You might contact the company for questions regarding your specific glider application.

http://zepsus.com/

I got mine from Aloft Hobbies. Great place to deal with.

https://alofthobbies.com/

I think DLG and slope guys are using the switch. I got one to try on my latest DLG.

I'm sure more people will chime in with their experiences.

Good Luck!

Don
Nov 02, 2017, 06:34 PM
What's wrong with heavy?
A Zepsus will not prevent you from launching a plane with the receiver turned off.

Dennis
Nov 02, 2017, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dephela
A Zepsus will not prevent you from launching a plane with the receiver turned off.

Dennis
Well Dennis, nothing will, but basically you can button up the ship in the morning and just swipe the magnet and turn the ship on and off. I have it mounted in an Explorer 3 4M and using a two cell LiPo 3400 mah battery. I also got one for 5J ship that will use BEC as primary power but the set up allows for a second pack to be carried and the higher voltage source is used to power the ship.

Also, the unit is small and should fit in about anything except maybe the smallest DLG.
Marc
Nov 02, 2017, 09:03 PM
Most of the time, just get the 7a version. That takes care of most common airplanes. If you want to leave things always connected, get the one that has the charge lead. I usually unplug when charging and only plug in once for the day, unplug at the end of the day. I have lots of them in F3b and TD models as well as some slope stuff and even a 1/3 scale Salto.

The 2a is for smaller stuff where you want to save weight, so maybe 2 to 4 small servos.

They also have some other solutions like a version with a voltage regulator if you are switching from older nicad technology to Lipo or lion. And a dual battery solution if you want to back up the bec on your motor controller battery with a separate battery. I haven't tried those yet.

You can buy a meter to plug in series with your battery to measure the current draw. They are handy to check your radio installation and make sure no servos are drawing a lot of current..
Nov 02, 2017, 09:10 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucPilot
You might contact the company for questions regarding your specific glider application.
http://zepsus.com/
I got mine from Aloft Hobbies. Great place to deal with.
https://alofthobbies.com/
I'm sure more people will chime in with their experiences.
Good Luck!
Don
i did-both. will see what they tell.
2 meters e glider for thermaling.
thanks.
i have a plug-in deans on several of mine for same purpose but am interested in what these can do.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 03, 2017 at 08:06 AM.
Nov 03, 2017, 08:06 AM

details

what i still dont know is where you plug it. from what to what.
any1 who has it please tell.
Nov 03, 2017, 08:08 AM
What's wrong with heavy?
It's connected in between the Rx battery and the Rx.
Nov 03, 2017, 08:28 AM

where?

thanks.
lets see: i plug the battery to the esc-and the esc is plugged to the receiver.
so, where this thing fits?
Nov 03, 2017, 08:38 AM
Phil, go to the Zepsus website and they have schematics. But basically it is like any other switch, just as stated above, it is installed between the battery and RX. On an eship, yes, esc, Zepsus, RX, and if you use the battery backup set up the, the harness has a second lead for the backup battery.

Marc
Nov 03, 2017, 09:32 AM

good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. Gellart
Phil, go to the Zepsus website and they have schematics. But basically it is like any other switch, just as stated above, it is installed between the battery and RX. On an eship, yes, esc, Zepsus, RX, and if you use the battery backup set up the, the harness has a second lead for the backup battery.

Marc
thanks. i tried their website but cant find schematics. i asked them. lets see when and what they provide.
but for what you say, for my e planes it plugs bet esc and rx (like any ordinary switch), meaning it has to have plugs that fit the rx. i cant see from the pics if theirs come already with same, but otherwise have to be replaced. no big deal then. thanks again.

>>>edit: i didnt realize this has 2 wires, not 3, so where/how which wires are connected and which is not?
so it is a big deal<<<
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 08, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Nov 03, 2017, 09:34 AM

which 1?

now, about which 1 for my planes...
how can i determine that?
depending on what?
if there is no difference i will go for the smallest lightest then.